Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Elephant badge, one for Ade

Article about: This stick pin came with the luft dagger i posted. I've posted it here because there doesn't seem to be a slot for it. Please delete or move if required. Its an elephant on the rampage under

Default Re: Elephant badge, one for Ade

Quote by big ned View Post
    Hi John,

The badge is not a souvenir. It would have been worn by members of staff of the British protectorate/ consulate and, in some cases, their dependants. In no way is this badge connected with any form of the military in any of the 3 countries i have already associated it with. This is purely a colonial badge, or rather, a distant reminder thereof.

Kind Regards, Ned.
    If as you say it is a badge worn by consular staff and then broucht home by one of them it is a souvenir. I said that it was not military. John.

Lou
    ?

This is really interesting to me as for a long time i've been looking for information on the elephant and palm tree. My great uncle Gren used to tell me stories of his time in Africa during the war. Being young, the stories were fun to listen to (how they would put horrible tasting Malaria pills in people's drinks!). As I got older, I became more interested in the role he played. When he died I inherited a box of things. Inside the box was a gold ring, silver necklace and silver cigarette tin, all with the elephant and palm tree logo. My brother and I thought it was some kind of insignia with relevance to Africa. This has made my day finding this information! Does anyone else know anything else or know what other things were made with this logo? Louise

Jan
    ?

Hi Louise, when looking at the logo I got the feeling that it may very well have very farstretching roots. The way the elephant is portrayed as well as the palmtree makes me think of a mix of Roman/Celtic depictions of African animals. Just an archeologists opinion this one...

Rgds Jan

Default Re Pin Badge

Elephant badge, one for Ade
    Quote by OKW View Post
    This stick pin came with the luft dagger i posted. I've posted it here because there doesn't seem to be a slot for it. Please delete or move if required. Its an elephant on the rampage under a palm tree. It has to my mind african connections and i'm unsure if its axis or allied or indeed war related but hope someone with the knowledge, Ade, can give a pointer as to what it represents, Afrika Korps or a sub unit there of or 8th army/ desert rats?
    I came across this pin badge with Elephant under Palm tree. I too am not sure of it's origin, though it does look quite old.

Here is a die with a elephant for you guy's.
    The third on the right. Never knew what it was for, eighter....
    ;-)
    cheers
    |<ris
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2