Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is this a fair dinkum Aussie badge??

Article about: I guess we all have a badge we have picked up some where some time and never been able to identify. I have one and it bugs me I haven't had a definitive answer on it. So I'm giving it a spin

Default Is this a fair dinkum Aussie badge??

I guess we all have a badge we have picked up some where some time and never been able to identify. I have one and it bugs me I haven't had a definitive answer on it. So I'm giving it a spin again.

Here it is, cloth, silver bullion, 4.5cm in diameter. To my mind it represents a rising sun, and I would guess nautical, and possibly an Aussie cap badge. Was it worn on the cap of the Purser on some Murray River boat? Is it even military, could it be Japanese? All guesses invited, perhaps Rene or Rick have some wisdom on this one. Thanks, A.

Sorry Mate not one I've seen before. Doesn't have the bayonet look.

?

It's nothing like I have ever seen before .
    Have you a good close up photo of the back construction ?

First thing I thought when I saw it was a rising son badge Anderson. For some reason I get a naval feel from it.

Here's the back photo, a black woven fabric, probably cotton.

I also wondered if it was naval, but could also be merchant marine? Been in my possession since the 1970's.

I've being doing some research online and I think I might have solved the mystery. It seems it may be a cap badge for the P & O shipping line, but I'm not sure just how old, could be a century. The insignia of the rising sun on a heraldic wreath goes back to the 1840's. Of course P & O had a long history with Australia so an interesting co-history of rising sun symbols.

Is this a fair dinkum Aussie badge??Is this a fair dinkum Aussie badge??

Quote by Anderson View Post
    I've being doing some research online and I think I might have solved the mystery. It seems it may be a cap badge for the P & O shipping line, but I'm not sure just how old, could be a century. The insignia of the rising sun on a heraldic wreath goes back to the 1840's. Of course P & O had a long history with Australia so an interesting co-history of rising sun symbols.
    They seem to have used the symbol in quite a few different insignia including rank badges.

You have probably seen this but for genral interest here;

P&O Deck Officers

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Looks like the mystery is solved.

Yes, I think so. I've since discovered a P & O heritage website and hope to get some historian to identify the badge precisely as to era and use. Oddly enough I've been a passenger on a P & O ship in the 1960's when as a child my parents took our family on a trip from NZ to UK, out on the Oriana and returned on the Canberra. My mother said her Dad's advice before the trip (he was ex-Royal Navy) "Only travel on a British ship" (meaning avoid Italian or Greek lines!)

Yeah,
    it was never going to be Aussie ...... there was no can of VB in the centre ( Victoria bitter )
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast