Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Found in the loft.

Article about: Hi all. Found these in the loft. probably collected by my father years ago. I have a vague idea of what they are, but not much. Any help would be appreciated. I don't like to talk value, but

Default Found in the loft.

Hi all.

Found these in the loft. probably collected by my father years ago. I have a vague idea of what they are,
    but not much. Any help would be appreciated.

I don't like to talk value, but I will probably move them on as I have nowhere to keep them from deteriorating.
    The larger flag is already a little thin, with some mothing.

The first flag is approx: 35"x19" and the second, 54"x34".

Best regards,

Brian.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Found in the loft.   Found in the loft.  

Found in the loft.   Found in the loft.  

Default Re: Found in the loft.

The mostly white one is a Royal Navy Ensign, the anchor one is what's known as the Government Service Ensign, flown by warships when no other ensign is appropriate, such as during trials etc. The Union Jack speaks for itself. Cool find. Value is tricky, £30 a piece? Maybe a smidge more.

Edit; if the blue flag with anchor is dated during wartime, it will be for Royal Fleet Auxiliary Service vessels not the Gov't Service Ensign. Same flag design, different name and use in later years.

Obviously Royal Navy related of some sorts. The one with the anchor is similar to Australian state flags but I doubt this would be so

The gravestone in your avatar, is it related to a relative ??

Cheers
    M

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    The mostly white one is a Royal Navy Ensign, the anchor one is what's known as the Government Service Ensign, flown by warships when no other ensign is appropriate, such as during trials etc. The Union Jack speaks for itself. Cool find. Value is tricky, £30 a piece? Maybe a smidge more.

Edit; if the blue flag with anchor is dated during wartime, it will be for Royal Fleet Auxiliary Service vessels not the Gov't Service Ensign. Same flag design, different name and use in later years.
    I would go with that, what would we do without Google !!! haha

Quote by Totenhead View Post
    Obviously Royal Navy related of some sorts. The one with the anchor is similar to Australian state flags but I doubt this would be so

The gravestone in your avatar, is it related to a relative ??

Cheers
    M
    Thanks for the info.

The avatar photo is My Great Grandfather, Alfred John Grigg. He is buried in Delville wood cemetary on the somme.
    He was 27.

I must visit him again soon!

Brian

Quote by bgriggsy View Post
    Thanks for the info.

The avatar photo is My Great Grandfather, Alfred John Grigg. He is buried in Delville wood cemetary on the somme.
    He was 27.

I must visit him again soon!

Brian
    Yes, its a sobering experience vistiting a relatives grave of the Great War

I visited my Great Uncles grave just outside Ypres last year, he was 20 years old, I plan on returning in Oct 2017, he died 17/10/1917. I was first person in my family to view his grave

I would go with that, what would we do without Google !!! haha
    Working in the trade helps too, but the anchor one did have me stumped a bit. Pretty uncommon I think.

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    Working in the trade helps too, but the anchor one did have me stumped a bit. Pretty uncommon I think.
    You ex Navy Andy ???

Yes, its a sobering experience vistiting a relatives grave of the Great War

I visited my Great Uncles grave just outside Ypres last year, he was 20 years old, I plan on returning in Oct 2017, he died 17/10/1917. I was first person in my family to view his grave
    I was the first to visit here too.

It must have been frustrating for family members, as organising visits must have been difficult (not to mention expensive).

Regards,

Brian.

You ex Navy Andy ???
    no no no, I just sell their gear when they are finished with it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast