Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

German Banner Flag. Huge

Article about: What does the adler/swaz over the letter "M" signify? I have a K98 ammo pouch with that on it...

Default Re: German Banner Flag. Huge

What does the adler/swaz over the letter "M" signify? I have a K98 ammo pouch with that on it...

mpw
    ?

It is known as the 'war flag' or war ensign'. Personally designed by Adolf Hitler the flag was the 'war flag' for the Heer and Luftwaffe. The Kreigsmarine used it as their 'war ensign' and the national flag served as the jack.

Regards, Mark.

I am pretty sure that the M is used when the object is related to the Kreigsmarine but I am unsure what the actual M stands for perhaps Marine?
    Thanks, Glen.

He just gave this to you???

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    What does the adler/swaz over the letter "M" signify? I have a K98 ammo pouch with that on it...
    The M indicates Marine, Kriegsmarine issue item. You have a sailors ammo pouch there matey, nice desirable stamping

Growing up in a small community has allowed me to get to know vets over the years. They all know i am a collector for educational purposes. As time went by, people knew i wasn't in it for the money, ect. So, I have been given various items for just this reason. They trust me with them. At no point will i ever sell these relics, but loaned out to museums or have dedicated them also (upon family requests). I'm just trying to preserve history. Sometimes i have been given fakes. That's part of it. Like a Totenkopf dogtag (link):

SS Totenkopf Dog Tag.

I try to validate cost structures for collectors who may have the same items. With all these damned fakes, it helps everybody if they can find what they desire and pay an honest price. Every now and then i will buy things, but mostly receive them as tools and aides. This is the most awesome website! I really thank you all.

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    The M indicates Marine, Kriegsmarine issue item. You have a sailors ammo pouch there matey, nice desirable stamping
    Shiver me timbers! Thanks!

Your posts and fine work has led me to this cool link about the "M" mark:

War Ensign 1935-1938 (Germany)

The "Decree about the Reichskriegsflagge, the jack of the warships, the merchant flag with the iron cross and the flag of the Minister of war and supreme commander of the Wehrmacht" (5 Oct 1935) says: ..."The Reichskriegsflagge is the national emblem of the Wehrmacht. The flag shall be shown on the Kriegsmarine (navy) warships, on the Luftwaffe (airforce) airplanes and the buildungs of the entire Wehrmacht."
    Jörg Karaschewski, 21 Oct 2003
    Actual flags usually had on the border a small eagle with a circled swastika with an 'M' underneath (the mark of the Reichszeugmeister) and a size such as '200 × 335' stamped on it.
    Norman Martin, 1 Jun 2000
    The 1935-45 Reichskriegsflagge was indeed used by army units. I saw them myself at barracks in Normandy and in Bavaria. I believe indeed that they replaced the unit flags after the July 20, 1944 assassination attempt.
    Norman Martin, 21 Oct 2003
    Perhaps this would explain the Bavarian area i spoke of earlier. Makes sense. This is a second pattern Reichskriegsflagge flag from what i gather.
    Attached Images Attached Images German Banner Flag.  Huge  German Banner Flag.  Huge 

Its a Kriegsmarine flag. The "M" does mean marine.
    You can find them stamped on china, flags, etc...
    Here`s an example on my Flottillenstd.
    Cheers
    Nuno
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Banner Flag.  Huge  

Thanks for sharing the additional picture. the more the better. Really cool that you all are posting and sharing your knowledge.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast