Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

good evening .

Article about: Hello ,I am hoping to find someone to help identify the regiment my grandfather was in during WW2.I have little to go on,the annotation is not 100% trustworthy,someone suggested to me that t

Default good evening .

Hello ,I am hoping to find someone to help identify the regiment my grandfather was in during WW2.I have little to go on,the annotation is not 100% trustworthy,someone suggested to me that the old folk used to say someone was in catering corps if they couldn't mention what they really did in the war,might turn out it was the catering corps all along .I tried on Facebook but just got sill suggestions ......
    good evening .

good evening .

thanks in advance.

He appears to be in a RAF uniform for other ranks
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I don't pretend to know anything about British uniforms but I doubt he would be wearing that ribbon bar if all he did was catering.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

I think the two ribbons indicate that he serviced in WW1. They appear to be the British War Medal and Victory Medal for overseas service from the 1st January 1916. If you have these medals they will be named around the rim of each medal. PY.

Quote by rbminis View Post
    I don't pretend to know anything about British uniforms but I doubt he would be wearing that ribbon bar if all he did was catering.
    Ralph.
    Yes he would Ralph.
    Just as caterers / cooks/ chefs etc in the Canadian forces serve and qualify for campaign/ service medals in all conflicts . They often have secondary roles as gunners or firemen etc. My son was a chef in the RAF and served in Afghanistan when the Taliban attacked Camp Bastion in Helmand, his mum nearly fainted. He qualified for the Afghanistan medal (he is now in the Royal Navy and still is eligible for all medals).

As Jerry says this is the uniform of an RAF enlisted man. In this case it looks like AC or Aircraftsman which is equivalent to Private Soldier in the army. Judging by his apparent age and the ribbons he had previous service during WWI which of course could not have been RAF in the qualifiying periods.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

wow thank you.

thanks for the information mark.

how can i find out more about his service history?