Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Hand Painted Tank Destroyer Sign/Plaque

Article about: Was in Rhode Island earlier this week on business, and wound up checking out some of the local antique shops. At one of the shops, I found this hand painted, Tank Destroyer sign, hanging low

?

Default Hand Painted Tank Destroyer Sign/Plaque

Was in Rhode Island earlier this week on business, and wound up checking out some of the local antique shops.

At one of the shops, I found this hand painted, Tank Destroyer sign, hanging low on a peg board. Appeared to be lead paint, and looked to have age, so I took a chance. Pen in the photos is for scale.

In any case, I hope you enjoy, and feedback good or bad is welcomed!

Thanks!

?

I like that a lot and would have bought it if the price wasn't crazy . Gary

MAP
    ?

I think Marty (aka Tank Destroyer) will love this

That said, I remember a thread a couple of months ago with a similar find....
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

No I hate it. It bad,bad,bad,bad!!!!! You need to just put in the mail and send it to Alabama,you do not need it in your house. I really like the looks of this sign. Probably for a CP.
    Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

I believe this one is a early one. The TD's changed from 8 wheels to 4 on their patches and other things later on.
    Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

?

Can I see an earlier impression under the paint?

Oz.

?

Thanks, all! Sorry for not responding sooner, however for some reason I'm not receiving email notifications when new replies are made.

In any case, I'll be honest with the price; it set me back $75 (marked down from $100) which I thought was more than fair. Apparently, though, another collector saw the same sign at a flea market for $50, but passed as he wasn't sure of the authenticity.

As for this being an over-paint, I thought this as well. I can see hints of yellow near the crazing by the front tank wheel. It's possible, or maybe this was a primer?

I am however curious about the use of Red paint for the background in lieu of Orange. Not sure if this has any significance. One could say maybe there was no orange paint, however they had yellow and red, which combined would make orange.

I was able to find another painted sign posted on USMF, and that too had a red background, however there was no yellow paint on the sign. In that instance, maybe all they had was red.

There is also an example of a theater made patch for the 661st TD Battalion (also posted on USMF), where the entire background is red, however not sure if there is any meaning behind that, or if it links this sign to the 661st in any way.

I may never know, however will say that I'm completely happy with the sign, and it looks great displayed with my collection. Eventually I plan on framing it with my two TD patch variations.

Tank Destroyer - Thanks for the info on the 8 vs 4 wheel. I knew of the variations (as well as the elusive 6 wheel design), however was unaware that one predated the other.