Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help! 2ND INF DIV 9TH REG 1944 Flag?

Article about: THE FLAG FEELS LIKE ITS BEEN THROUGH A LOT, SOME AREAS ARE TORN, ONE PART LOOKS LIKE IT WAS BURNED AT SOME POINT. THE FLAG IS A BIT FRAGILE THE BAND HAS WRITING ON IT THAT READS, 2ND INF DIV

Default Help! 2ND INF DIV 9TH REG 1944 Flag?

THE FLAG FEELS LIKE ITS BEEN THROUGH A LOT, SOME AREAS ARE TORN, ONE PART LOOKS LIKE IT WAS BURNED AT SOME POINT. THE FLAG IS A BIT FRAGILE THE BAND HAS WRITING ON IT THAT READS, 2ND INF DIV 9TH REG 1944 THEN THERE IS A DRAWING OF WHAT SEEMS TO BE AN INDIAN WEARING A FEATHER HEAD DRESS, ALSO THE WORD MILLER, . THE FLAG MEASURES APPROXIMATELY 69" X 39" INCHES. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IMPUT ON THIS BEAT UP FLAG? DO REGIMENTS USUALLY MARK THERE FLAGS LIKE THIS?

THANK YOU Help! 2ND INF DIV 9TH REG 1944 Flag?Help! 2ND INF DIV 9TH REG 1944 Flag?Help! 2ND INF DIV 9TH REG 1944 Flag?Help! 2ND INF DIV 9TH REG 1944 Flag?Help! 2ND INF DIV 9TH REG 1944 Flag?Help! 2ND INF DIV 9TH REG 1944 Flag?

Gidday there

9th Infantry Regt was an organic unit of 2nd Infantry Division aka Indian Head during WWII-1941-45.

What I see on there is 2nd Infantry 9 6 1944 Miller. Cannot make out underneath 9. Can you show a better pic or make out what it says ie RGT for regiment?

With that being said it could stand for 2nd Infantry Division 9th June 1944 individual name Miller.

2nd Infantry Div landed on Omaha Beach 7th June onwards.

No, individual regiments do not mark on US Flags , they have their own colours it looks like an Individual wrote on it some details.

However the difficulty is the writing authentic?
    Attachment 944137

Phill

It should be delivered in a couple of days and I can take better photos for you. I think it's authentic writing. I would of bin leary if it said Omaha beach, or whatever. I will take better photo once I get it. It must of bin a important flag for someone.

GI's marked everything , if they had of put Omaha beach or some designation on the flag I wouldn't been surprised.

When I get home I will let you know D+ when the Regt. landed and please take more photos he could of added the company letter he was with.

Phill

I will take better photos when I get the flag in the mail. Thanks for your help, I'm curious what you find out

Gidday Mate

Going off Reports of Operations First US Army 1945.

2ID landed as follows:

D+2 7729 Personnel (V Corp pre Load Build up).
    D+5 over strength 1500 personnel (V Corp).
    D+12 2ID Detachment 1239 (V Corp).

I couldn't find an exact date for 9th Infantry however Simon & Schuster listed 8th June. Another source listed evening of the 7th and another 12th June.

I would go for Reports of operations unless you can find to the contrary.

Phill

Help! 2ND INF DIV 9TH REG 1944 Flag?

Source: 'World War II Order of Battle' by Shelby Stanton.

does this flag look legit?..I will take better photos when I get it

If you look on page 623 under addenda SLS Order of Battle WWII revised ed.
    p 200 LINE 3
    landed ON 7 June 44-NOT 12 June 44

Also Cross Channel Attack-Army Green Series c 1951

2d Div landed evening 7th June

Other sources do mention 7th June.

Unfortunetley I would like to give a definitive landing time , you would have to get a hold of the regimental official history.

Phill

The flag is legit , its the authenticity of the writing.
    What you can do is look up a roster of the 9th Inf for the name Miller. That would be a good start.
    For what its worth I would like it in my collection and do more research.
    The 9th was involved in a lot of mopping up fighting from 7th-10th 44 in the lodgement area of Omaha beach ,so writing June 44 would be a legit time period once rested.
    Also the flag's quite large so wonder how it came into his possession , was he part of HQ & HQ Co? I don't think its a personnel flag.

Phill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast