Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

help in identification of collar and shoulder insignia

Article about: Good afternoon all, I am a new member and was hoping to find out more about a photo that was given to me. I am from the United States so I am unfamiliar with Commonwealth insignia (Australia

749th tank battalion
    ?

Question help in identification of collar and shoulder insignia

Good afternoon all,

I am a new member and was hoping to find out more about a photo that was given to me. I am from the United States so I am unfamiliar with Commonwealth insignia (Australian).

I know the photo is somewhat fuzzy when trying to look at the shoulder and collar insignia, but by outline or shape could anyone point me in the right direction as to what they could be.
    According to my gf the gentleman is her great uncle and the photo is circa WWII era.
    In searching online for photo reference of insignia I believe the collar ones may be the "Australian Commonwealth Military Force" with crown and sunburst design ?? just by comparing its general shape and look to pictures i saw.

Barring being able to smooth the fuzziness out and enlarge it on my computer further, can anyone lend an assist..... i'd be very grateful !

Thanks in advance...

Respectfully,
    Andrew (749th tank battalion)
    help in identification of collar and shoulder insignia
    Last edited by 749th tank battalion; 07-23-2012 at 06:57 PM. Reason: added photo

?

Default Re: help in identification of collar and shoulder insignia

Hello Andrew
    no picture for me ??
    cordially
    Didier

Andrew, please attach photo via the forum's uploader.

Tom

749th tank battalion
    ?

Sorry, I used another upload button when first trying to post the photo. I believe it should show up now. My apologies :-)

The small collar badges are the 'Rising Sun' Australian General Service badge minatures-badges worn on the shoulder epaulettes are 'Australia' for service with the 2nd Australian Imperial Force (volunteers for overseas service outside Australia in WW2)-flashes worn on the upper sleeves at the shoulder are for the individual unit, determined by colour and shape-will be edged in grey for WW2 service. For example see attached- 2/3 Antitank Regt 2nd AIF.

PS I you know the name of the individual soldier you can do research here at the Australian War Memorial site-free online Home | Australian War Memorial
    Also this World War Two Nominal Roll
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture help in identification of collar and shoulder insignia