Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help Identifying Unit in Photo

Article about: Hi guys, can anyone help with identifying what unit this may be from the attached photo - there is not much to go on but if you don't ask you will never know!! All I can add is that it is a

?

Default Help Identifying Unit in Photo

Hi guys, can anyone help with identifying what unit this may be from the attached photo - there is not much to go on but if you don't ask you will never know!!

All I can add is that it is a recently discovered family photo and the man in it from my family was from Newcastle. I was wondering if anyone could date the equipment or identify the cap badge or insignia above the Sgts right hand stripes? Also, do the cartridge belts signify cavalry / RHA or are there others that would have worn them at this time?

Any help or pointers at all would be much appreciated.

Many thanks, Steve

Default Re: Help Identifying Unit in Photo

Hi Steve, and welcome to the forum!

The insignia worn above the Sgt's stripes appears to be that of the Royal Tank Regt: a WW1 tank .

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Welcome, Steve!

As Ade stated, the shoulder patch above the Sergeant's stripes certainly looks to be the shape of a WWI tank.

The "mounted" bandoliers that the soldiers wear across their chest is a clue, too. Much easier to retrieve ammo from a bandolier on your chest than from an ammo belt around your waist while sitting/ standing in the confines of an armored vehicle.

Tank badge on his arm for certain, I cant quite make out the cap badges, though the uniforms suggest early WWII which is odd that they have the ammo bandoleers at that date.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help Identifying Unit in Photo  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

You guys must have eyes like a watchmaker!.....

My best guess on the cap badge goes from the figure seated to the left of the Sgt: I would say that is Royal Signals?

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    My best guess on the cap badge goes from the figure seated to the left of the Sgt: I would say that is Royal Signals?

Cheers, Ade.
    That was my thought as well, though if I have time later I'll check to see if anything else is a better match. Strange that they have the bandoleers?
    Regards,

Jerry

?

Many thanks for all the replies - they really are much appreciated!!

I know more about the army in WW1 and very little about WW2 but agree in the above there is a bit of confusion i.e.:

If they are Royal Signals why would the Sgt have the Tank Corps sleeve badge? Would he still be wearing this if he was ex TC and now Royal Signals or would he wear it only if he was still with a TC unit?

JerryB - many thanks for the info on early WW2 uniforms, I would not have a clue what to look for! Could you please give me a bit more info on what features you have looked at to come up with this date?

I have never seen the Royal Signals badge in the 'roundel' before, only the modern one - I had a google for the WW2 cap badge and it looks to me like you are spot on with this.

The bandoliers are interesting and a bit of digging led me to the following thread: https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/equip...dolier-141586/

It seems likely that these were used by the Signals men then!

Thanks again to all, regards, Steve

The pattern of the BD blouse is all of the early war type with concealed buttons on the pockets and down the front, from late 42 onwards they have exposed buttons, so as all of them have the early type tunic it is almost certainly early. Also the FS caps start to be phased out from 43 onwards and so the same applies. I also think the bandoleers would only be used early war. The lack of cloth shoulder titles on the upper arms of tunics that are not in a combat zone again suggest a date pre 1942. It is possible that they have the slip on unit titles which would date the picture to between 1940 and 1942 when the sewn on titles appear, but I can't see that clearly enough to be certain.

The tankers arm badge was an honorary distinction and he might have been an ex tanker, as I think you could still wear it even if you no longer served in a tank unit.
    Regards,

Jerry