Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Here be Dragons

Article about: Thank you, Jerry! Luke

Quote by zwerge View Post
    Nice collection,I have a question,are these dragons also known as griffins,or griffons.....Pete.
    Hi Pete,

The early version used by the RWF is more like a griffin than those used by the Welsh, but it is still a dragon.

The two pairs of collars at lower left are the early type, without the loop in the tail, which is a feature more commonly seen on English dragons, such as that used by the Buffs. The two at top left are cap badges (the one is still on its original circa 1937 coloured FS cap), the pair at top right are for the blue patrol jacket. The bottom row are for the officers SD tunic, early type are shown by the two pairs to the left and the later type on the right. It is not known when the change from the early type to the later type took place, but probably circa 1920 when the regiment changed the spelling of its name from that using a S to the preferred regimental version using a C. The same change took place for the Welch regiment at the same time.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Here be Dragons  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by rogge16 View Post
    Thank you, Jerry. I've always liked the Welsh dragon. I think after seeing your's maybe I'd like to get a couple. If you ever see any and pass on them I'd appreciate a heads-up if you wouldn't mind.

Luke
    Hi Luke, they are out there and singles come up on ebay quite often. I missed a silver plated pair a few days ago, as someone else was willing to pay more than I bid.
    Regards,

Jerry

Some English dragon collars for the Buffs.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Here be Dragons  
    Regards,

Jerry

?

Quote by zwerge View Post
    If they are purebreds they must have come with papers?.....Pete.
    You have to paper train them ?

Quote by SteveR View Post
    You have to paper train them ?
    No you feed them coal and they breathe fire.

Go to circa 3.50 mins.

Ivor the Enging - Ep2 - YouTube
    Regards,

Jerry

?

Superb!

On a weird note, I used to be mates with the grandson of Oliver Postgate the creator of Ivor the engine. I was only young when I knew him but they where an interesting family to say the least.....

A few more dragons, two Welsh and one English, cap badges this time.

The Welsh are a pre WWI white metal example for the Monmouthshire and a WWI period gm/brass for the Brecknockshire Bn of the SWB, note that the Mons & Brecons use the same dragon (with or without the scroll) and there is a gm/brass version used by the Mons, an example of which I am waiting to arrive. The English dragon is for the Buffs.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Here be Dragons   Here be Dragons  

Here be Dragons  
    Regards,

Jerry

Jerry: Would you be able to show pictures of the backs of the dragons from the opening post? If you find the time.
    Thank you so much!

Luke

Quote by rogge16 View Post
    Jerry: Would you be able to show pictures of the backs of the dragons from the opening post? If you find the time.
    Thank you so much!

Luke

No problem Luke.

I think I have included them all.

The OR's examples show the front design through onto the reverse, while the OSD versions have a plain back, so the very polished example that looks like an OR's in brass can be seen when the back is shown to be an OSD.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Here be Dragons   Here be Dragons  

Here be Dragons   Here be Dragons  

Last edited by Jerry B; 11-07-2013 at 12:29 PM.
    Regards,

Jerry

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast