Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Info on british pin

Article about: Any info and value will be appreciated......Marked 925 Sterling on reverse..........Thanks.....Dave H

Default Info on british pin

Any info and value will be appreciated......Marked 925 Sterling on reverse..........Thanks.....Dave H
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Info on british pin   Info on british pin  

Default Re: Info on british pin

It looks like a Sterling silver "Order of the Garter" pin.....age? Just a guess, but 1920's?
    However, Many many British military units also used the motto...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

It's specifically the Royal Coat of Arms for Her Majesty's Government as the crown sits directly on top of the shield and does not have the helm and crest of the Royal Coat of Arms of the United Kingdom, Her Majesty's personal arms.

It appears the badge may be broken, as the cross on the top of the crown is missing. I wouldn't know the value, but it wouldn't be a lot IMO.

Regards, Ned.

EDIT: Just noticed that the Irish harp is the pre 1921 partition type of a winged female rather than the plain Gaelic harp preffered by Her Majesty today, so it probably almost certainly dates from before her coronation in 1953.
    Attached Images Attached Images Info on british pin 
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Good spot on the cross, Ned! Leave it to a Brit to notice the fine details of heraldry!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Thanks to all for the information.....Dave H

Though it has the Queens crown so should date from after 1953? Maybe from early in her reign or even from Victoria's reign?
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Though it has the Queens crown so should date from after 1953? Maybe from early in her reign or even from Victoria's reign?
    Just done a bit of digging on his Jerry and have found that the old style harp was in regular use for many years after the coronation, and is still seen today in certain cases. The change to the Gaelic harp to represent Northern Ireland was done at the personal request of the Queen, probably as a favour to the majority pro monarchical subjects of that province. But it is not an actual requirement under British constitutional law.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.