Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Large 48 star US flag

Article about: hiya guys this turned up today & was wondering if anyone could give me a rough date & possible use thanks in advance now its a cotton flag but seems very thin compared to the other o

?

Default Large 48 star US flag

hiya guys

this turned up today & was wondering if anyone could give me a rough date & possible use thanks in advance

now its a cotton flag but seems very thin compared to the other one i have, its had several repairs & is very well used. the stars area is printed rather then individual sewn but the rest of it is sewn, the guy i got it from said around the 1930's so guys any thoughts
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Large 48 star US flag   Large 48 star US flag  

Large 48 star US flag   Large 48 star US flag  

?

Default Re: Large 48 star US flag

anyone

?

Could be this flag was used up untill the late 50's. You could use the black light test. If it glows its a good possibility that it is not from the 1930's. Gary

Alot of these were war time made for personal use till Alaska, Hawaii joined. Not meant to be on an all weather flag poles but displayed on windows and short poles mounted to the exterior of homes/buildings.

rgds, Ty

?

thanks guys

csaanv
    ?

Hi Nick,
    I remember you from NAVA. What are the measurements for the flag? I haven't seen too many 48 star rope & toggle flags unless they were naval or foreign made. I have Soviet made U.S. courtesy flag made with a rope and toggle. I wonder if it is a "contract job" for the Government. My best guess that it is a courtesy flag made in Canada or UK.

I haven't seen too many 48 star rope & toggle flags unless they were naval or foreign made.
    These were my thoughts as well.

Nick, for what it is worth, I have a flag similar in appearance and construction without the rope and toggle that belonged to my grandfather. My mom remembers him flying it in the 1950's from their porch. My guess would be that this one is probably from that time frame. Yours certainly has a nautical look to it with the toggle and reinforced corners.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

csaanv
    ?

Hi Steve,
    After WW2, especially in the 1950's the light weighted cotton with printed canton and sewn stripes flags were quite common (I have a couple myself) but as you pointed out the re-enforcement patches and the rope & toggle makes this flag unique. The printed canton was a way to make a cheaper flag with less material so the extra costs and time to make re-enforcement patches would not make sense. The only time I have seen a printed canton or flag with re-enforcement patches and rope & toggle has been foreign made. Although most US naval flags used grommets any naval or sailing flag that did use a rope dropped the wooden toggle around the turn of the last century and went with a metal snap and/or ring on a rope. This was not the case for the UK and it's Commonwealth which still uses the toggle (plastic) and ropes (nylon) on their flags. Another thing I noticed if you look especially in the white stripes it looks like moth damage which would tell me that it could be a wool/cotton? blend fabric which was common before WW2 and mostly phased out by the 50's. What size is your flag and is there a flag company printed on the header? Interesting flag.