Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Looking for correct insignia

Article about: My son has recently joined the 20th combat engineers at ft. Hood Texas. I'm looking for the correct insignia used by that battalion during ww2. Conflicting insignia show up on the net. After

Default Looking for correct insignia

My son has recently joined the 20th combat engineers at ft. Hood Texas. I'm looking for the correct insignia used by that battalion during ww2. Conflicting insignia show up on the net. After I find the correct insignia id like to buy some memorabilia for him. Thanks for any help.

?

DUIs are a big guess friend.

I do not believe there is a definitive reference on them.

The unit may not have existed during war time or was dissolved between wars and reformed from a different group with a different history and DUIs.

Have you looked here?

20thEngineers.com - World War 2

The 20th seems to have a history involving both world wars, the cold war, Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan amongst others.

On this site the "medal bars" on the left function as a drop down menu. Just click on the theatre of ops and the relevant page opens. If the site itself does not answer your questions perhaps an email to the site management would help.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

The unit did exist and first saw combat in north Africa from what I've read so far.

Thanks watchdog! I do believe I've found the insignia. Now goes the search for militaria.

?

If the 20th was part of the 42nd in WW I it would have been designated the 117 engineer Regiment.

Can you define WWII insignia ......Distinctive Unit Insignia or Shoulder sleeve Insignia or unauthorized either?

Looking at its WWII history it appears to have been assigned to HQ Commands ie Army or Corp and then allocated to various Divisions within those commands.

So depending on what year and under what HQ command/campaign it could of worn No patch, GHQ, Seventh Army, II Corp , First Army SSI.

Note re Tunisia and how it got its nick name "wavy arrow" , so somewhere along the line individuals would of had locally made "patches" of which would feature a "wavy arrow"

Unit History - 20th Engineer Battalion (CBT)

You mentioned you have found the insignia , can you show a pick.

Phill