Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

"The Motto": 17th/21st Lancers cap badge

Article about: Is that a genuine arm badge in the top photo of post no. 6? I regret bitterly not buying a couple of caps a few years back - 17th/21st officer's Full Dress & Service Dress caps, complete

ian
    ?

Default Re: "The Motto": 17th/21st Lancers cap badge

Quote by leigh kitchen View Post
    Gaylor does'nt list the 17th Lancers as being one of the WWI brass economy badge'd units, Kipling & King stae that a bronzed version was issued (Vol 1 P208) but don't show an illustration of it.

Would a heavily polished motto translate as one given an enthusiastic rub down with fine emery cloth by the way?
    belive it or not liegh it was just day&martin metal polish and an old towel and years of polishing
    i threw away that motto in anger i wish now i had cept it

ian
    ?

liegh i think you are right about this brass? motto now i study it it could well be bronze that would explane why the reg said they never used brass motto,s
    i think i back then and now couldnot canot tell the difference between the two metals
    it explanes a lot cheers for that

ian
    ?

heres another little anomoly
    number 2 dress belt
    the reg for as long as anyone could remember did not wear a belt with the num 2 dress
    we even had no belt hooks on the tunic
    how ever i cant remember the year of hand but we had a new colonel who decided to break with tradition and make the reg wear belts it lasted about 6 months and we went back to no belt
    these belts were very unpopular i was one of the very few who cept theres
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture "The Motto": 17th/21st Lancers cap badge  

?

Ade , this might interest you. I have an original army account book,combined with a monthly settlements clothing accounts book from the 17th regiment of Lancers, the lancers name is Henry Frank Conisbee no 3469, his enlistment date was 10th October 1889 at Canterbury . He was aged 18yrs and joined for 7yrs in the army and 5yrs in the reserve, bn in the parish of Edmonton,London.This mans entire army history is here all bound in a leather folding wallet, what equipment he was issued,his savings acccount book,a will document, it is becoming a bit fragile but i will see about having the pages treated for preservation,hopefully i can post this wallet and its contents soon.

?

I have just remembered guys, for those of us old enough to remember them.

One of the uniforms available for the original Action Man figures in the 1960's/70's was a 17th/21st Lancer.
    I believe it is still currently available for the current generation of A-M figures!

Piece of totally random/useless information!

Hi Guys, thanks for all the posts. This old thread has suddenly taken off! I enjoyed seeing all of these items relating to the 17th/21st.

Cheers, Ade.

I remember the old Acton Man uniform - I think I have the tunic in a bag full of old bits & pieces somewhere.
    The white waist belt - the white nylon "woven" type by the look of it?

ian
    ?

heres a pic of the action man 17/21L ceremonial uniform
    an original of this uniform pre 1908 will cost thousands
    the lance cap alone for a trooper has bin known to sell for over £1,000
    the 17 lancers is with out dout the most famous of all cavelty reg of the british army one of the oldest and more battle honours than most charge of the light bregaid included
    cheers ian
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture "The Motto": 17th/21st Lancers cap badge  

?

I knew I should have kept all my old Action Man figures and bits that I had for them

It all went down the charity shop when I was in my late teens/early 20's.....no space and no kids of my own then to pass it on to!

Known to all the cynical squaddies as The Boneheads, my brother in law was in this regiment and killed his car commander when he rolled it into a sunken lane in Germany. He is still terminally stupid. John.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast