Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Navy Ensign

Article about: Just wondering if this is WWII , got it from a WWII vet . He served on the HMS Prince of Wales , as a cordite handler . It's made of a sailcloth type material . And is 17/37 inches in size ,

CBH
    ?

Default Navy Ensign

Just wondering if this is WWII , got it from a WWII vet . He served on the HMS Prince of Wales , as a cordite handler . It's made of a sailcloth type material . And is 17/37 inches in size , maybe for a launch .
    Cheers Chris
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Navy Ensign   Navy Ensign  

Default Re: Navy Ensign

Hi Chris,

It appears in the pic's to be of a nylon/man made fibre material and so does the lanyard. What are the snaps made of, they're normally brass? Leckie's is a Canadian marine chandlery company who started up over 100 years ago making fishing nets and then branched out into thread suppliers and flag making. In 1956 a new manufacturing unit was opened at Don Mills, Ontario, processing such items as tents, tarpaulins, sleeping bags, flags and government approved life saving equipment.

It's hard to say when it was made unless it's marked Ontario meaning it's post war, as does the point about the materials used for the construction, lanyard and snaps.

Cheers, Ned.

EDIT: Just found out they also had/have facilities in Toronto, Winnipeg, Gaspe, P.Q., Caraquet, N.B., and St. John's, Newfoundland, so the Ontario part may not have any bearing on the timeline.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

CBH
    ?

It has a brass eyelet , and bronze looking turnbuckle hardware top and bottom , if that helps . Thanks for the information . Was this company used to supply the Royal navy ?
    Thanks Again

WW2 examples normally made from wool ???

Quote by CBH View Post
    It has a brass eyelet , and bronze looking turnbuckle hardware top and bottom , if that helps . Thanks for the information . Was this company used to supply the Royal navy ?
    Thanks Again
    I know they produced RCN ensigns with the maple leaf, but that was only started in the mid '60s I believe, but the ensign you have is definitely made in the 'colonies' shall we say. The flag material during wartime was linen, produced from the flax plant. The material should therefore be natural not man made fibre, and the same goes for the lanyard which would be either manila hemp, coir or sisal. Synthetic rope did not become popular until the '50s.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I read somewhere they were a cotton wool mix, the lanolin in the wool providing some protection from the elements. Anyways, as has already been said, would have been constructed of a natural fibre not man made. Just been looking at my ww2 issue flags, I cant really confirm what they are made of, I am not a fabric expert !!

CBH
    ?

Yes the rope is synthetic , so I guess post war . Thank you all for your help . I guess now I can fly it from our boat without worrying about it .
    Cheers

Chris, do you know the vet you mentioned ???. Interesting ship the Prince of Wales, was built about 35 miles away from where I live

CBH
    ?

I was hoping it was from the Prince of Wales ! I got it many years ago now , Mr Kendell pasted away many be 10 years ago now . A very interesting man , he was also a crew member on the Bounty for the filming of the movie " Mutiny on the Bounty " ! I just wish I had have got to see his slides he took durning the filming . I also got a Prussian Jager Flinklock from him as well as a Leib Husaren busby skull that his sister brought back from WWI , she was a nurse . I've posted it here before . A great man .
    Cheers Chris