Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Possible Free French Pedant Flag

Article about: Hi I came across this Pendant in a local Antique store I'm wondering it could be Free French but i have never come across anything like it before. It came from the estate of a WW2 Senior Off

Default Possible Free French Pedant Flag

Hi
    I came across this Pendant in a local Antique store
    I'm wondering it could be Free French but i have never come across anything like it before.
    It came from the estate of a WW2 Senior Officer. Would anyone have any information of what it is or could be?
    Many thanks
    Possible Free French Pedant FlagPossible Free French Pedant FlagPossible Free French Pedant FlagPossible Free French Pedant FlagPossible Free French Pedant Flag

?

Hello Andy, it does look like a nicely constructed Free French pennant, I don't know enough about these to confirm authenticity. It looks like a good quality piece possibly used for a vehicle or boat ? It stands a chance of being authentic but these types of items are heavily faked because they were not regulated and usually homemade. Anything associated with a resistance movement and not a regulated army is tough to be 100 % sure. I hope someone else on this forum will give you a definitive answer.

Al

CBH
    ?

If you can link it positively to the officers estate and have any information on his European service it should be noted and keep with the flag, not a rock solid history. But better then found in a antique store in Poland. The material look period, a Blacklight test wouldn't hurt. I would say boat flag as I don't believe car pennants used the top wooden toggle. Hope it's a good one.

?

Chris, I agree. The toggle made me think of maritime use from the start.

Good Morning
    Thanks for the responses
    Please find attached my attempts at backlight test from below and above. Compared to a modern white cloth it is very dull. i will try and obtain the details of the Officer involved tomorrow.
    Kind Regards
    Andy
    Possible Free French Pedant FlagPossible Free French Pedant Flag

CBH
    ?

I did a little research on sewing stitches and the zigzag stitch was usually only used in industrial machines pre 1947.
    So I'd suggest you look for other similarly constructed pennants as these may be pre-war French flags converted to Free-French in the early war years.
    Maybe in England as the construction looks very similar to Union Jacks I have from the period.
    But it is also possible that Sail Makers would have access to ZigZag machines, pre 47.

Afternoon, i've discovered that the flag was acquired with a number of items all reported to belong to a Major Robert Readhead. A quick search reveals that Major Readhead was in 12 Royal Lancers but was a SOE operative, receiving the Distinguished Service Order for action in Italy in early 1945. Unfortunately there is nothing concrete which ties the pendant to Major Readhead but still pretty interesting. The Antique Shop also has a 1967 Xmas Card from Monty which was in the same items but doesnt actually mention Major Readhead by name.

CBH
    ?

The SOE would have been involved with French Resistance operations , so it's a great sign.
    What else came with the group?

The coarse material matches a period French flag in my collection. NH

Hi Chris, unfortunatley only bits left are an old photo of a rowing crew, some unnamed sports badges and the Montgomery Christmas Card.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast