Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Possible WW2 British Naval Ensign, Flag

Article about: Just had a nosey around military stock number codes and this number came up. RN Ensign NSN 8345-99-571-3291 The last 7 numbers are the same as the ensign above. The 'NSN' prefix stands for '

Default Re: Possible WW2 British Naval Ensign, Flag

Just had a nosey around military stock number codes and this number came up.

RN Ensign NSN 8345-99-571-3291

The last 7 numbers are the same as the ensign above. The 'NSN' prefix stands for 'Nato Stock Number', ergo the flag cannot be pre April 1949 at the earliest, and is not of WW2 vintage. The brass fittings on the lanyard are known as 'Plain Inglefield Swivel Fittings'.

Shiver me timbers, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Nice detective work Ned, as I first thought, I feel the Ensign is a quite recent one unfortunately

Quote by Totenhead View Post
    Nice detective work Ned, as I first thought, I feel the Ensign is a quite recent one unfortunately
    The apparent lack of a crowsfoot/broad arrow is another sign, and the wartime ones were always double stitched and nearly always by hand, neither of which is in evidence here.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks for the great info;it confirms what I guessed.This site is the greatest ; I always get a correct assessment as to what I've found !
    Regards,
    Dave

Thanks, I stand corrected.

Hi, A nice original Royal Navy ensigne. The "stitched" or "panneled" method of construction would indicate a fairly early flag. Personnaly I would date it at 60/70s based on the construction and NATO Reference Number 5713294. Unless it has a manufacturer's name or logo, I would suggest that it is the product of a Naval Base Flag Loft (Devonport etc). Hope this is of help. Regards and best wishes Michael R

Great information, thanks !

Hi, You are more than welcome. If I can be of any assistance in the future, please feel free to contact me. Regards and best wishes Michael Ryan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2