Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 74 of 111 FirstFirst ... 24 64 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 84 ... LastLast

Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.

Article about: RAAF Pilot Officer Epaulettes. *Make a Mental Note in your Brain about what I said in last post *

Quote by AT P Sweep View Post
    Hey Blokes

Went out on a fantastic round two at the WWII training site ~ full update to follow soon ~

But on the way home dropped into "Sandy's" place to pick her offer of the Belgium medallion ~

Well ~ turned in to something totally unexpected ~

It is NOT WWI ~ it is NOT Belgium ~ and it has NOTHING to do with Australia ~

It is in fact a Netherlands resistence service medallion ~ 1944- 1945

Google Translate
    Google Translate

While it is unrelated to Australian service I imagine this is a rare service badge in itself ~

So ~ while a tad disappointed ~ I think it is still a rare score..

( BTW she also gave me some 4 Aust Military forces buttons ~ with a promise to hand over even more bits and pieces ~)
    May have a connection to the Japanese occupation of the Dutch East Indies Sweep?
    It possibly could have been awarded to an Australian who operated there post invasion.
    Just a thought.
    Keep up the good work mate
    Dave

Here's what Lithgow was touching on with the VDC automatic weapons shortage early in the piece.

From the same publication,

Early Vickers, German MG 08 Maxim, French WW1 Hotchkiss MG.
    Desperate times and measures.

A few Militia era insignia items,

17th Battalion "North Sydney Regiment" collars

Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.

32nd Battalion 'Footscray Regiment" collars

Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.

And a 46th Battalion "Brighton Rifles" hat badge
    Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.

Not to certain re originality on this one. I believe the originals were cast in this fashion but not 100% confident this is good.

And some patches,

41st Infantry Battalion

A very moth eaten 14th Infantry Battalion set

Keep them coming gents
    Cheers and all the best
    Dave

Hey Jack the VDC come up on ebay a bit quite cheap. I was a little suss on the one I posted but only it and 1 other on ebay at the moment.

Interesting photos, the gents still in their street clothes receiving MG instruction. In early 1942 before Australia could get it's AIF troops back from Africa and Greece it looked as though the older bloke's might have to defend the country. This based on the assumption that the Japanese were heading for Darwin or worse. What has always sat a little poorly on me was Churchills reluctance to let the AIF troops come home even to the point of trying to send them to Burma at the last moment. PM Curtin at the time stood tough.

Best
    Jack

it looked as though the older bloke's might have to defend the country.
    Mate ~ as I believe ~ thats essentially what happened ~ re Kokoda track ~ the blokes were basically a militia and thrown into the fight with a lack of experience and training..They took on the Japanese and fought hard till the blokes returned from the Middle east and Africa ~ ( and these had to be shipped back , then R&R and retrained before entereing the fight and relieving the blokes on the Kokoda track ~ )

They were true Heroes of the day ~

I worked with a bloke whose Uncle was one of them, and when he was ready to go , his family gave him an engraved pocket watch ~ He went MIA on the Kokoda track ~ but his watch was retrieved from a dead Japanese soldier and returned to his family ~

Thanatos / Dave

Great collection ~ fantastic ~

Good thought on the Dutch medal ~

Interesting story re the pocket watch Sweep. Do you know the diggers name mate ?
    Cheers cobber
    Dave

Default Rising sun Badge,

Hi ,
    This is the only australian badge i have iv had it for many years now and was told it was a British version with the slider on. Also it was for the light horse Regt. so would really like to know either way, it is in really good condition for it,s age.
    Dave.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.   Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.  

Gday Dave,
    WW1 British made replacement GS hat badge. The Light Horse issue is a bit of a myth as these were made as replacements for all arms of the first AIF. I feel the LH regiments preferred them over the standard lugging system as the slider made fitting the badge to the front of the Fur Felt much easier (slider under the Pug.).
    A nice badge mate. Any makers marks ? Most were unmarked.
    Hope this helps mate
    Cheers
    Dave

Gday Dave,
    WW1 British made replacement GS hat badge. The Light Horse issue is a bit of a myth as these were made as replacements for all arms of the first AIF. I feel the LH regiments preferred them over the standard lugging system as the slider made fitting the badge to the front of the Fur Felt much easier (slider under the Pug.).
    A nice badge mate. Any makers marks ? Most were unmarked.
    Hope this helps mate
    Cheers
    Dave

Sorry gents had a computer glich and it posted twice.

That 46th Battalion (Brighton Rifles) collar is a dud! I should have a nice crisply stamped back. I would say that if a badge looks cast from this period then it is probably a reproduction.

Mick

Page 74 of 111 FirstFirst ... 24 64 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 84 ... LastLast