Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 80 of 111 FirstFirst ... 30 70 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 90 ... LastLast

Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.

Article about: RAAF Pilot Officer Epaulettes. *Make a Mental Note in your Brain about what I said in last post *

RAAF Pilot Officer Epaulettes.

*Make a Mental Note in your Brain about what I said in last post *

Raaf Pilot Officers Epaulettes

* Keep the Thought Process Going *

Raaf Flying Officers Epaulettes

* Keep the Thought Process Going *

Raaf Pilot Officer Epaulettes

Whats wrong with this picture ?

Nothing ! Let me explain.

All the above pics are 100% Authentic Wearer Owned.

All I wanted to point out was there are variation of insignia types, style and presentation , be on Epps or Uniforms, Caps etc etc

That you cant trust DR COPY GOOGLE or any one or two books on the subject as Gospel.
    At the time many fell off , and got replaced, by the owner , often with another makers items , so you get a imperfect fit, so to speak.

My main point was to point out to fellow collectors , that many people add badges and cloth insignia onto things when selling to make them into something they are not , and that sometimes they are pukka gen , but many times more often than not youve been had.

5 Year OS Service Chevron.
    Dont see many of theses mint unissued.
    Compare to my WW1 4 year OS Service

2nd AIF Felt Pennant
    I know its not real insignia and 1950's but I love it !
    Traded it in 1973 as a 10yo with my cousin for a flogged out Surfa Sam skateboard .
    I had a new Golden Breed Flexi fibreglass one with clear fat poly wheels !

Still I love it , because the moths never got to eat it , and I keep it in a Vacuum bag , so dont get to look at it often.

Other 2nd AIF Insignia nothing exciting but nice examples

To your point that exceptions to the rule can happen. As you say during normal period wear the original veteran owner may have had a need to replace an insignia. The replacement may not be a match or facing in the correct direction. As collectors we do get hung up on these inconsistencies whereas the veteran likely could have cared less at the time and replaced with whatever was easily at hand, even an eagle facing the wrong direction. I have seen these oddities quite often in my collecting career.

WW2 U.S Army Ike jackets comes to mind. Many times the campaign and or decoration ribbons were in the wrong order of precedence because the vet himself was the one putting them on his own uniform. This was usually done prior to returning home at the end of the war and the last thing he was worried about was if his American Defense ribbon or ETO ribbon were in the right order. They were going home and that was it. On the flip side when you see and enlisted Ike jacket and everything is completely correct and by the book you might become suspect.

This however does not release the collector from being on his guard when spending money on these pieces.

Best
    Jack
    Last edited by Jack Kelly; 01-03-2014 at 11:56 PM.

Page 80 of 111 FirstFirst ... 30 70 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 90 ... LastLast