Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 105 of 111 FirstFirst ... 5 55 95 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 1104

Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.

Article about: RAAF Pilot Officer Epaulettes. *Make a Mental Note in your Brain about what I said in last post *

Well ~ As i see it mate ~ We have agree ~ not all is as it seemed ~

All a little like the Time Team episode ~ Archeologists V the Detectorists ~ eh ?

( I am very tempted to become a full on Collector, but my better half has kept that on check ~ and she is right !! LOL After all enough relics ~ at the end of the spade ! )

As I have stated I simply "dig them up" ~ ( and it is up to you blokes as collectors to add the clarity ~ )

Sounds a good deal to me ~

Oh ~ And a very nice WWI badge you posted originally ~

Jerry

As an example and follow on of our intriguing conversation regarding Rising Suns and maker's marks ~ Dwayne who comes out with me these days ~ he sent shots of two of his (3) Rising Suns ~

The first is one he "inherited'

The second the one ( that he 'found ' ~ literally embedded in the arch of his foot as a youngster while swimming at Tinaroo dam years ago ~ ) the latter has no mark or has deteriorated !

With this in mind I tend to err toward the majority having said marks but these that we dig while often are in excellent condition the marks have deteriorated over the passage of time (?)

Nice British made replacement Jerry. "Unmarked" was the norm with these Replacement GSB with the exception of the Tiptaft marked examples. Pleased you did not call it a "Light Horse Issued" GSB mate
    Stu the majority oft GSB were unmarked in both world wars. The manufactures used the same die's in WW2 as they used in WW1 with the exception of maybe General Plastics which was a post WW1 company. I would say 2 out of three are unmarked in any way. Sometimes the oxidation process (blackening) would create small marks or ripples on the reverse side which today look like old worn makers marks. Hope this helps Stu.

All the best
    Dave

B36
    It's possible it maybe a locally made Woman's Auxiliary badge made to look "American" to help identify the ladies to American servicemen. In saying that if true I feel it's "unofficial" and certainly not government issued.
    Hope this helps cobber
    All the best
    Dave

Dave

Thanks for your input ~ I have had a couple of pundits make similar comments regarding the various RS issues ~

I figured it would be a little unusual though to 'recover' nothing but unmarked versions ~ and I thought at least some should have the marks despite being 'interned' for 70 + years ~

Anyway ~ an intriguing discussion ~ thanks Blokes ~

Well ~
    Seems I have had a win regarding the Rising Sun Manfact. stamp ~

The issue came up again among our group and I checked several of the most recent Rising Suns I have found ~ and ~ Good stuff ~ first one and most recent is a ' Luke' company Melb ~

But the good news is I rechecked the second one recently found and it without a doubt one of my best finds, and it is a 'General Plastics' badge !

A nice score ~

Hi Stu,
    Nice General Plastics GS badge mate, well done. GP made examples are possibly the least common of the maker stamped examples. Shame about the missing lugs but still a nice one cobber.

Thanatos

Cheers mate ~

I have a very adept and skilled jeweller on my books and 'Kai' maybe able to cheat and have him replace the logs... but certainly not at risk of jeopardising the integrity of the piece !

Well have to say while my posts have been quiet of late I have NOT been quiet in the field ~

I have been working several sites including a GHQ ~

I was there for a couple of hours last Weds ~ and I have finally ~ finally broken the hext that has seemingly been blocking my search for a AIF Military unit badge apart from AUST flashes and Rising Sun.

I first thought I had retrieved a crumpled ball of copper wire ~

But I soon realised I had something very special ~ The original owner had twisted it almost 180 degs ~ then folded it over and chucked it ~

I very cautiously ~ unfoiled it ~ preying all the while not to break it ~ I did not break it ~

I have a new non-insidious method of cleaning brass ~ "Napi-San"!! Works a trick !

There has been considerable debate as to exactly who or what the rank was that wore this medallion ~ I do nto believe it is a Sniper's badge ~ I have not found the badge on line thus far ~

Appreciate some feed back blokes! Thanks !

Also out of interest, I also dug these puppies ~ Six in one hole which tells me the 'boards' were discarded by a Captain~

(Also treated with 'Napi-San'.)

The shoulder boards I bought some time ago!

Also have had a run on Hat Rising Suns and ID tags ~

?

Very nice finds! I think the badge is for an artillery surveyor? Uncommon badge.

Oz.

Page 105 of 111 FirstFirst ... 5 55 95 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 ... LastLast