Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 33 of 111 FirstFirst ... 23 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 43 83 ... LastLast

Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.

Article about: RAAF Pilot Officer Epaulettes. *Make a Mental Note in your Brain about what I said in last post *

Default Re: Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.

Hi ` I have to say what a brilliant site and this string is fantastic.

I am a fanatical MD fossicker that resides on the Atherton Tablelands, in FNQ ~ and anyone with any knowledge what took place here in the years from 1942 to 1946 ~

(I hope I am not out of order by posting this as a question rather than an exhibit.)
    I have recently scored a several intriguing items on what I believe was the camp site of the 2/ 7th Cavalry Batt.

Now the debate is whether the Kangaroo is actually an official badge or a bit of trench work (?? ) (The star which is copper and found very close to the kangaroo is pretty obviously trench art work.)

The little Kangaroo is brass.

Additionally the block item is definitely a badge mount with clips on the rear but maybe a tad vague as to what it may have been, also found within < 100mm > of the other two items !

Any advice on the items appreciated ~ Thanks ~ SS

As a matter of further interest on site, a Victorian MD member (on my preferred metal detecting site ; Kimbucktwo.com) on the Mornington Peninsula this week found a 1901/2 first edition Rising Sun.. Woowwha !

AIF
    ?

Hi mate and welcome to the site! Are you the bloke with the FNQ metal detecting videos on youtube?

Hi AIF

Thanks for the Welcome ~ But no that's Warren (NQ Explorer) and his wife. Warren keeps his cards to his chest pretty well ~ but we exchange emails regularly ~ The only point score I have over Warren is that I have found SIX Identity tags this year alone as opposed to his one ! LOL

It is a great time spinner tracing Dog tag owners or their families ~ I returned one to a family in Rockhampton last month! They were blown away !!

I do have a video in the mill as it were but have not quite finished the editing yet ~ I focus mainly on WWII sites at the moment ~

AIF
    ?

Also in regards to your question I think you will find the little kangaroo is a piece of trench art that was probably unfinished that has been cut from a penny or half penny... It was a very common thing the diggers made, usually they made them into sweetheart badges or to braze onto shells to make vases, ash trays and salt and pepper shakers ect... (Which I would say this one was made to be used in that way)
    The star I am not so sure that it is trench art, it looks like a star taken from the front of a Japanese helmet, If you could show some pics of the back that would be great.
    And I guess you already know the Australia badge is a shoulder title worn by the AIF during WW2.

Cheers Luke.

AIF
    ?

Quote by AT P Sweep View Post
    Hi AIF

Thanks for the Welcome ~ But no that's Warren (NQ Explorer) and his wife. Warren keeps his cards to his chest pretty well ~ but we exchange emails regularly ~ The only point score I have over Warren is that I have found SIX Identity tags this year alone as opposed to his one ! LOL

It is a great time spinner tracing Dog tag owners or their families ~ I returned one to a family in Rockhampton last month! They were blown away !!

I do have a video in the mill as it were but have not quite finished the editing yet ~ I focus mainly on WWII sites at the moment ~
    Ah ok yeah I have seen all his vids and he is very vague about the locations haha But curiosity usually gets the better of me and I find out where he has been detecting I live down on the NSW/QLD border so It's too bloody far for me to get up there but I am hoping to do a trip up some time at the end of the year and check some sites out.

That is great about the dog tags any chance of some pics?

Cheers Luke.

No problems about the tags . but I am off to work now and will post up on the weekend ~ No MD this weekend ~ raining cats and dogs ~
    Cheers
    Stuart ~

AIF
    ?

No worries mate! make sure you pop back in here...

Also for reference regarding the kangaroo.
    Attached Images Attached Images Post your WW2 Australian Insignia. 

Whilst not insignia worn in the field,these were worn with pride afterwards.
    My Grandfathers Returned Services Badges

1.The last renewal before he passed.
    2.1991 Version
    3.1944 Version
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.   Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.  

Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.  

AIF
    ?

Great badges Mate!! No Aussie collection should be without at least one of these in it!!

AIF
    ?

Here are a couple of my WW2 returned servicemen's badges

Demobilised Sailors Soldiers & Airmen's Association 1944

Legion of ex servicemen and women 1946
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.   Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.  

Page 33 of 111 FirstFirst ... 23 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 43 83 ... LastLast