Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 36 of 111 FirstFirst ... 26 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 46 86 ... LastLast

Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.

Article about: RAAF Pilot Officer Epaulettes. *Make a Mental Note in your Brain about what I said in last post *

4md
    ?

Default Re: Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.

sx 7722 gilbert blackall wilson he was a gunner in the 2/8th field regiment, he was born in ardrossan south australia, enlisted in 1940

you just had the name wrong i think

nice finds by the way
    regards Paul

Luke thats intriguing.. I figured the strip tag was a duffle bag / ID but where did you find that as I searched high and low ~ did not find any further details ~

PK Macauley was from Rockhampton where I found and spoke with is son. ( I actually found the second tag Macauley two weeks later and figured his Dad was so pleased that I returned his tag, he rewarded me with the second ~ LOL

Another was from Lismore and the other from west of McKay .

Thanks for the additional information ~

Thanks for your prompt feed back regarding the BCOF ~ That's great !
    Sorry mate but it was a fluke. I posted the BCOF Patches only out of interest. The timing was good though.

Some nice finds there.

AIF
    ?

Quote by AT P Sweep View Post
    Luke thats intriguing.. I figured the strip tag was a duffle bag / ID but where did you find that as I searched high and low ~ did not find any further details ~

PK Macauley was from Rockhampton where I found and spoke with is son. ( I actually found the second tag Macauley two weeks later and figured his Dad was so pleased that I returned his tag, he rewarded me with the second ~ LOL

Another was from Lismore and the other from west of McKay .

Thanks for the additional information ~
    Just an educated guess mate, I have been collecting Aussie WW2 gear for over 20 years so I like to think I know a little bit about it LOL

The bloke from Lismore (Bartrim) was only born there but he lived in Bonalbo, they are only a short distance apart. If I find anything out I will let you know.

And regarding the 'ethic's' of having an old set of dogtags that once belonged to a soldier I don't see any problem with it, sadly most families don't even care (sad but true) or others didn't have families to pass their stuff on to. For example only recently I was given a full medal group paperwork photo's a slouch hat and other assorted bits of kit that belonged to an Aussie who served in the 16th Battalion in WW2 because he had died and nobody wanted the stuff... Or junk as they called it. he was the uncle of my friends wife and he never married or had kids and it was destined to go in the bin until they offered it to me and sadly this happens all too often.

AIF
    ?

Righto time for some more patches

1. Headquarters 1st Aust Corps 1940-1945
    2. Headquarters 2nd Aust Corps 1942-1945
    3. Headquarters 3rd Aust Corps 1942-1944
    4. Headquarters 3rd Aust Corps 1942-1944 (Militia)
    5. Headquarters 1st Aust Motor Division 1942
    6. Headquarters 6th Aust Division 1939-1946
    7. Headquarters 9th Aust. Division, 1940-1942 also Headquarters AIF in UK 1940-1941
    8. Headquarters 9th Aust Division 1942-1946 also HQ AMF Details Labuan 1946
    9. Headquarters 6th Aust Division 1939-1946 miniature
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.  

AIF
    ?

Schools and Training Units

1. Army Headquarters Schools, 1942 (militia)
    2. Army Headquarters Schools, 1942 (AIF)
    3. Headquarters Allied Land Forces Schools, 1942-1943 also Schools & Training Units, First Aust Army, 1943-1945
    4. Schools and Training Units, Second Aust Army, 1943-1945
    5. Headquarters Allied Land Forces Schools, 1943-1945 also Headquarters Australian Military Forces Schools, 1945-1946
    6. Possibly LHQ School of Mechanization (No one knows for sure the exact unit)
    7. 3rd Aust Corps Schools and Training Units, 1943-1945
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.  

AIF
    ?

Salvage Units

1. 9th Aust Division Salvage Unit, 1942-1945
    2. Salvage Units, New South Wales L of C Area
    3. Salvage Units, Western Australia L of C Area
    4. Salvage Units, Queensland L of C Area (accidentally posted this one upside down )
    5. Northern Territory Force Salvage Unit
    6. Second Aust Army Salvage Unit
    7. 3rd Aust Corps Salvage Unit

AIF
    ?

Postal Units.

1. 7th Aust Division Postal Unit, 1941-1943
    2. 9th Aust Division Postal Unit, 1941-1942
    3. 9th Aust Division Postal Unit, 1942-1945
    4. 3rd Aust Corps Postal Unit, 1942-1943
    5. New Guinea Force Postal Unit, 1942-1943
    6. Aust Army Postal Service (Field Units) 1943-1945
    7. Aust Army Postal Service (Other than Field Units) 1943-1945 and previously Non-divisional Postal Units 1942-1943

Thats fantastic Luke ~ Sure appreciate your resource ~

But HEY Blokes ~

Get this ~ I have been hunting for the Holy Grail ~ a Rising Sun ~

So all fired up this morning I packed the car and headed out to the 2/7th Cavalry site again ~

And FORGET the Holy Grail ~ Rising Sun ~

HAVE a go at what I scored today ~

I could not believe it ~ and more incredibly they were not in the same hole and metres apart ~

I was stunned ~ I have always dreamed of finding some thing like this ~ But seems thoday WAS the day !

You think I was stoked or what ~ The "shabbier " of the two even has the clasp pin on the back !! I mean WHAT are the Odds!?

What exactly is the rank though!!??

The finds of the day were the rank medallions and the (erotic ~ XXX ) brass bottle opener (found several metres from the medallions!) ~

Plus I scored my first intact 303 round ~ ( I have found heaps of blanks and rotted full rounds but no intact live rounds ~ Also scored plenty of 9 mm + .38 cal and even .45 live intact, even a 20 mm shell )

Total items today ~ more junk stuff and heaps I didn't even dig ~ but going back ~ for sure ~

The *disc *appears to be another *(blank ) ID *disc ~

I reviewed your comments Luke ~ I have to thank you for the feed back ~ and contributions made by other member/s too ~ Thanks Blokes ~ amazing knowledge base .. thanks for sharing ~
    Last edited by AT P Sweep; 05-04-2013 at 01:41 PM.

AIF
    ?

Great scores mate I like the bottle opener, very cool I bet the digger who lost that was upset.

The officers rank pips are a nice find as well, they are a standard pip worn by officers with the rank of lieutenant and upwards... Two on the shoulder would be a lieutenant, 3 would be a captain and so on...

Does the spoon have the DAD stamp on it?

Page 36 of 111 FirstFirst ... 26 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 46 86 ... LastLast