Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 51 of 111 FirstFirst ... 41 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 61 101 ... LastLast

Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.

Article about: RAAF Pilot Officer Epaulettes. *Make a Mental Note in your Brain about what I said in last post *

Default Re: Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.

It's Boer War period Mick.
    "The Kings Colonials" Australasian Squadron insignia.
    The members of this unit were "Australians" living in London when the Boer conflict began and enlisted for service in the UK.
    I can't make a call on originality though sorry mate .
    Cheers mate
    Dave
    Last edited by Thanatos; 07-14-2013 at 11:26 PM. Reason: added text at work

Thanks Dave,I passed your answer on to him.
    Great work Mate
    Mick

Australasian Army Cap Badge Help Please - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

Hello Gents, was inspired by this thread and have joined up. Will post some of my humble Australian collection. Right now just enjoying the great posts.

Best
    Jack

Quote by Jack Kelly View Post
    Hello Gents, was inspired by this thread and have joined up. Will post some of my humble Australian collection. Right now just enjoying the great posts.

Best
    Jack
    Welcome to the forum Jack. Great to have you on board mate.
    Looking forward to your posts cobber and thanks for your interest.

All the best
    Dave

4md
    ?

Quote by Jack Kelly View Post

Best
    Jack
    welcome Jack looking forward to seeing some of your collection

Many thanks fellas, I have doubled or better my knowledge of Australian insignia by looking and reading through this thread. Australian insignia does not show up much around here and lack of references is always a problem. I have been fortunate recently to have stumbled onto an older collection of cloth and metal.

I had always admired the Australian fighting and Can Do spirit which is much akin to us here in the U.S. This is what drew me to collecting it. I am well versed in U.S insignia. Anyway I am rambling off topic now.

Best
    Jack

Many thanks fellas, I have doubled or better my knowledge of Australian insignia
    Right with you jack ~

I am a proud Aussie and even more proud of the courage and achievements of the Aussie Digger ~

I am amazed at the variety of badges and the blokes on site that collect these are indeed dedicated true Blue ~

I was recently doing some research for my Metal detecting as I currently am seriously scanning the local military history in these parts ~ ( as we had massive numbers of WWII Australian and USA forces embedded in this region.)

And anyway I found this link where in some one started a post on the World's most historically USELESS countries in War/s!

I am sure some one was baiting the blog when he added Australia!. Even the international contributors were "up in arms" !

But I mean look at WWII straight up ~ The Diggers were the first to seriously bloody the nose of Hilter's invincible forces ~ in North Africa ~ under Rommel, at Trobruk ! (Then when the Diggers were pulled out ~ the Pommies promptly lost the place to Rommel !? )

Rommel called the Australians as "The cream of the Empire" !

Weren't the Diggers the first to seriously bloody the nose of the Japanese land forces, halting them in New Guinea ?

Battle of Buna

Then came the saga of The Kokoda track !

And of course the story of Villers Bretonneux , The Australian forces halted the rampage of German army/s where even today the school children give thanks to the sacrifice of Australian Diggers in WWI ! \\

Villers-Bretonneux, Australian National Memorial

In fact I believe, the Australians per ratio of numbers achieved more gains than any other forces in WWI ~ unfortunately they also took the most casualties again based on ratio of numbers involved ~

Then in Korea when the Chinese first entered the fray , Australians were all but overwhelmed~ and US commanders were totally convinced the the Australians had been wiped out, but in the light a new day ..there they were giving as much back to the Chinese ~

The list goes on ~ and on ~

Makes me certainly proud to be an Aussie!

I agree with all of the above sentiments. I might add that in Vietnam the Australian's were known as smart tough jungle fighters.

The fighting in New Guinea/Papua in 1942 was absolutely brutal. Thank heavens the Australians held on and eventually won.

One year later my own father was fighting on Bouganville.

Best
    Jack

Bouganville.

Now that was a messy little Cat fight too eh ~

Good to see more International input on site ~ Jack ~

BTW ~ I read the "official" documentation of the Battle of Guadalcanal Canal in 1942-43 ~ and they mentioned ~ that in the initial preparation and landings, the Kiwis were also part of the overall force ~ But seems there was never any further mention of them after preparation and landing~ Curious ~

After all the Kiwis are part of the ANZAC legend ~

As for Vietnam ~ ( I was in the last draft that was actually sent to Vietnam ) ~ and by that stage the Australians could actually move around in open ground , village to village and not even have to carry arms ~ which says the NVA / Viet Cong held the Australian in high regard ~

And they actually avoided two forces ~ the Australians and the South Koreans !

Should posts in this thread be limited to only WW2 items. Once I get organized and start posting I may mistakenly put up something not from this era. If I have items that I am confident are post WW2 should this become a new post/new thread.

Best
    Jack

Page 51 of 111 FirstFirst ... 41 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 61 101 ... LastLast