Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 62 of 111 FirstFirst ... 12 52 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 72 ... LastLast

Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.

Article about: RAAF Pilot Officer Epaulettes. *Make a Mental Note in your Brain about what I said in last post *

?

Quote by Thanatos View Post
    Engineering Officers collar I believe,

Attachment 509416
    Maybe an Artillery officers collar, as it has the 7 flame bomb, not the 9 flame bomb?

Cheers,
    Oz

Here are some Engineer patches for Ubique. These again are out of a group put together by a women who had served during the war and actively collected Australian patches up until the late 60's and to whom I am indebted for advancing my collection. Most of her Id's have been pretty accurate.

The engineer unit patch titled "Dick's Group" refer's to a friend of her's serving in this unit. I have seen this patch listed as RAE "Lines of Communication" that sounds rather broad in description. As well as another patch shown at bottom in different shape listed as the same unit. Is there an Id that is more specific?

In addition also posting a Light Horse patch pair. All correction's, additions and or deletions always welcome.

Best
    Jack

Quote by Ubique View Post
    Maybe an Artillery officers collar, as it has the 7 flame bomb, not the 9 flame bomb?

Cheers,
    Oz
    This looks like a 1950/1960s period badge.

Mick

?

Thank you Jack, that's a nice group of colour patches you have there. WWII colour patches are something I have not got involved in myself (so much militaria ... so little time). Looks like the top row are AEME (Australian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers) which if memory serves, are an offshoot of Ordinance? Also the Anti Aircraft Companies would be artillery related? Interesting to note that some of these historic colour patches are in use today, such as the Landing Ship Detachments CP. I have assembled a complete set of the current modern colour patches. Thank you for posting!

Cheers,
    Oz

Hello Oz, the AEME pieces were mixed in with other Engineer pieces. If it had the word engineer in its description it went into the engineer display. But as you mentioned not an RAE component.

The A.A. patch I have also seen described as RAE Searchlight Units.

When time allows I will start to post a grouping of mine which belonged to the Commander of the U.S. 9th Aviation Engineer Brigade. They landed on D-Day at Utah Beach. They built and maintained temporary and permanent air bases in the 9th U.S Air Force area of responsibilities. Will post this in a new thread of course

Best
    Jack
    Last edited by Jack Kelly; 08-04-2013 at 06:09 PM.

Gday fella's
    Cheers for the clarification re the collar gents.
    The AA patch I think is for Static Searchlight units.

Nice items all.
    Cheers
    Dave

Hey Blokes..

I think I actually have put together a "Full set" after my outing last Sunday when I scored yet another collar Rising Sun and a tunic button !

( But I have some reservations about the slight differences in the collar Rising Suns ~ I am sure you can clarify if there is a different application between the two or they simply an earlier and a later version. After all the site was a camp site for the same AIF Batts from 1942 - 1945 )

Which ever I am very proud my first set ~ with History ~!

The Hat badge~

The collar Badges

The Officer's Pips

The Shoulder badges

The Tunic buttons

Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.

?

Awesome set you have found there! The difference in collar badges could be nothing more than manufacturers variations, although I am sure that a lot of WWI badges were re issued to the 2nd AIF too.
    I have been swinging my Garrett 250 Ace detector for a couple of years but never yet found a rising sun although I did come close with an RAAF/RAF WO hat badge (Kings crown version).

Oz.

Quote by Thanatos View Post
    Gday fella's
    Cheers for the clarification re the collar gents.
    The AA patch I think is for Static Searchlight units.

Nice items all.
    Cheers
    Dave
    Thanks for the info on the searchlight patch..the background color is purple "engineer" however it does look blue in the photo.

Best
    Jack

Thanks for your thoughts Obique`

The intriguing part is that all them came from two camp sites and the Officer's pips were the closest and even they were some 2 metres apart~

One of the hard corp members of my preferred specific MD site has been sweeping fro years and never found a Rising Sun ~ or a dog tag despite working what locals in Brisbane call the Fun park and it was a huge WWII area in the SE ~

(BTW I have some six name tags and returned only one thus far though!)

Page 62 of 111 FirstFirst ... 12 52 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 72 ... LastLast