Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

RAF Mini Wings-English Made Bullion Insignia?

Article about: Am looking at an English made Officer's Ike Style jacket and this is the insignia that is on it. No reaction to UV lighting. Are the Miniature RAF embroidered wings WW2 period and/or other i

Default RAF Mini Wings-English Made Bullion Insignia?

Am looking at an English made Officer's Ike Style jacket and this is the insignia that is on it. No reaction to UV lighting. Are the Miniature RAF embroidered wings WW2 period and/or other insignia?

Yes they are a correct variation as half size and were only used on USAAC personnel that had prior service in the RAF before transferring to the US service. Full sized are often encountered too. Without a name it is hard to determine if they are legitimately on their or applied later, usually by collectors or dealers. Extra wings abound, people entitled to wear them usually had several spare sets and tailors shops were full of them too. It is hard to tell if they are silk or not. If it's wool or cotton they are likely later repros

And, black light 'testing' is a useless and meaningless technique. PM me your e-mail and I'll send you an article. Synthetic dyes were in use at teh turn of the 20th century in the textile industry, and any washing, dry cleaning in mid 20th century detergent will leave phosphates behind that fluoresece.