Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

RAF Pilots wing worn by a member of the Royal Navy

Article about: Hi Guys, during a valuation day I attended on Thursday I met a lady who had sadly recently lost both her parents. Both had served in the RN during the war. She brought their items in for me

Default RAF Pilots wing worn by a member of the Royal Navy

Hi Guys, during a valuation day I attended on Thursday I met a lady who had sadly recently lost both her parents.

Both had served in the RN during the war. She brought their items in for me to look at. Her Dad served in the RAF pre war, but was invalided out. He then joined the RN during the war and served as a Petty Officer Artificer. As a former RAF pilot he was entitled to wore his former wings. I have never seen a pair of "RN" RAF wings before!

They are full size and done in gilt bullion thread on Navy blue wool, uniform removed.

These are not coming up for sale before anyone asks.

Enjoy.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAF Pilots wing worn by a member of the Royal Navy  
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Those are very nice. I have never seen a navy pair either.
    Thanks Ade.

Hi Ade, May I venture an opinion on your "Pilot" qualification brevet please. I would suggest to you that the badge is for pre war wear on the RAF Full Dress uniform. Bullion flying brevets are still worn and contrary to some "experts", are not obsolete. Usually only worn on the RAF white Full Dress (extant) uniform, they have also been worn on shoulder ribbands of orders notably by the Duke of Cambridge.

Although the wear of insignia by other than the arm of service in which serving, is usually strictly forbidden in accordance with both Queen's Regulations and RAF Dress Regulations, holders of certain insignia to include the three services "Pilot's" brevets may be worn by other services but only on the specific authority of the Arm of Service concerned. Ergo the RAF brevet may be worn by the Army personnel but must have been authorised by either the War Department or currently MoD (UK) Army. None RAF brevets by Airmen, on the authority of either the Air Ministry or MoD UK Air and none naval brevets on the authority of either the Admiralty or MoD UK Navy. An acquaintance of mine served in the Royal Marines, earned the Army "Pilot" brevet, left the RM and joined the Royal Observer Corps as an officer and applied for authority to wear his brevet on his RAF (ROC) Number 1 uniform. This was granted by MoD UK Air.

I would further suggest that the wings in question are of private purchase, standard RAF pattern and executed on a blue/black Melton field rather than a blue/grey field. The field colour is not common but by no means rare and IMO not really attributable to the RN per see but merely a variation?? And, although of an obviously very high quality and 100% original, there are other manufacturers errors in the design of the badge.

I hope that my opinion is of interest to you?

Cheers Michael Ryan.