Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

RAF / RAAF Air Gunner Winged Bullet Badge 2 or 3 Lugs That is the question ?

Article about: I thought that I would put this subject up on its own thread to get more information and photos from those that have any in their own collection. I'm of the opinion that they came in both ,

?

Default RAF / RAAF Air Gunner Winged Bullet Badge 2 or 3 Lugs That is the question ?

I thought that I would put this subject up on its own thread to get more information and photos from those that have any in their own collection.

I'm of the opinion that they came in both , 2 & 3 Lug Variants ,

Let's get the ball rolling with my one and see what you think

Cheers Rick

Attachment 1369927

Attachment 1369928

Attachment 1369931

Attachment 1369934

?

very cool badge,
    My first time seeing one.
    Looking forward to see what pop's up on this thread.

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    very cool badge,
    My first time seeing one.
    Looking forward to see what pop's up on this thread.

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Thanks Phil,

Me Too ,
    Ever since the internet was invented this thing that the 2 lugs are fake & 3 lugs are the real deal has been going on as someone somewhere said it, and everyone ever since has copied that answer , as if it had come from a book.
    I 1st read about it over 20 years ago. So I'd thought Id put it under the camera macro , and see what others can come up with in good quality photos to compare all variations.
    It's a weird thing really as to why such a small 1 1/2" high x 1 3/4" wide badge would need 3 lugs anyway ?
    Cheers Rick

Attachment 1370290

?

They seem to be nicely detailed. I like it!!!
    I also noticed this one is dated 1928(3)-1939.

Since the UK didn't enter into WW2 until September of 1939, Would these be Pre War set? (if deemed real)

It does seem to be quite a small badge to need 3 lugs and if there were different makers of the Gunner badge's. Just like the US Aerial Gunner wings, There are slight variances in every maker. I would think that a 2 prong would be one of the slight details that would change between makers.
    Just my 2 centavos.

Were these an industry type makers or cottage/Jeweler type?

Standing by for more info shared!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Since the UK didn't enter into WW2 until September of 1939, Would these be Pre War set? (if deemed real)

It does seem to be quite a small badge to need 3 lugs and if there were different makers of the Gunner badge's. Just like the US Aerial Gunner wings, There are slight variances in every maker. I would think that a 2 prong would be one of the slight details that would change between makers.
    Just my 2 centavos.

Were these an industry type makers or cottage/Jeweler type?

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Good pick up Phil ,
    Until I put it under the Macro lens I could not see the scratchings either under normal eyesight .
    I could see some marks under normal eyesight but thats all .
    To be honest when I saw this I thought oh no. The body is only 1/4" across so must have been done with a very fine scribe .
    I know I didn't do it as has been in a tobacco tin for the last 20 years , but proves nothing as to its originality , I could have done it except my eyesight is poor and my hand shakes.
    Cheers Rick

?

Semper Fi
    Phil
    As far as I know they are pre war 20's to 39 when they were junked for cloth.

Cheers Rick

Never seen one either Rick! the dates look scratched in by hand (like for a reference?)

?

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Never seen one either Rick! the dates look scratched in by hand (like for a reference?)
    I'll will tell you later mate where it came from but not now as it detracts and deviates from what I'm trying to assemble which is a high quality photo data base of these examples.
    Of both variations 2 & 3 lugs.
    Ive been working out on trying to solving this puzzle for about 20 years really.

You can get a " Puckka Gen" 2 lug original fake patina wash one for 30 Pounds if you are keen .
    Cheers Rick

Attachment 1370854

Attachment 1370855

I have 7 of these badges on my website, 2 lug, 3 lug, rimmed and rimless. My front page - www.chealsmuseum.com under qualification badges.