Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

RAF WW1 wings

Article about: Here is a set of wings from WW1 given to a Canadian officer serving with the RAF very late in the war. I'm not sure if you call this 'Aldershot' pattern for WW1 cloth or not.

Default RAF WW1 wings

Here is a set of wings from WW1 given to a Canadian officer serving with the RAF very late in the war. I'm not sure if you call this 'Aldershot' pattern for WW1 cloth or not.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAF WW1 wings  

Default Re: RAF WW1 wings

SatansCabanaBoy, this site has some good pictures of WW1 and WW2 wings
    Royal Air Force Pilot Wings
    I hope this helps with the identity of your wings. Regards, Simon.

thanks cat

I was told that these were later war issue, but the wings seem a bit different than the 1918 ones pictures there.

SatansCabanaBoy, these would have to be late war as the RAF was formed in April 1918, prior to that it was the RFC, the Royal Flying Corps, using army coloured RFC wings. Unfortunatly i do not have any knowledge on the construction/design of British WW1 badges, so on that score i am unable to help.

These are the standard pattern RAF brevet used from 1918 to 1938. 1939 saw a minor change to the design but these are going to be very difficult to date simply because they were in use for so long. Would it be possible to see the back? That may help a little as there are regional differences that become apparent from the rear.
    All in all though a nice variant (and there are a lot of those!) of the early brevet.

Cheers
    Gary

I will post the back when i can Gary...I'm on lunch right now

I would think the biggest change that the RAF did in 39 was make the 'RAF' fit in the wreath?

I know for sure that these wings are from 1918. The person i bought these from were the son of the original owner. His father was Lieutenant at the end of the first war in the RAF

The back.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAF WW1 wings  

Since we are on the topic...I've had this a few years.
    The back looks shiny, but its is a thick glue. Looks like this was taken out of a book.
    I know even less about WW1 regalia...so if anyone one could give me a heads up on this, it would be cool.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAF WW1 wings   RAF WW1 wings  

They are great looking wings, Scb !

Regards, Steve.

That is a nice British made example. Made by some woman working by candlelight in the dark of night. Very cool!

Gary
    Quote by SatansCabanaBoy View Post
    The back.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast