Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Rare Rising sun badge

Article about: Ok, this is post war, but a generally hard to find, original, RS badge... This version is included in any time line of RS badges, sort of fits into the late 70's thru to late 80's.....it's e

?

Default Rare Rising sun badge

Ok, this is post war, but a generally hard to find, original, RS badge...

This version is included in any time line of RS badges, sort of fits into the late 70's thru to late 80's.....it's easy to find a repro of, but this badge was not widely issued, a collar dog version of this badge exists as well.

This was a "general service" badge, worn whilst at recruit training before allocation to a corps, I wore one on my beret in 1991.... This was replaced in 1992 with the current version RS
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rare Rising sun badge   Rare Rising sun badge  

Nice one Tony

?

Thanks mate.....this one has a nice feel to it, the way it's made is very similar to the first of the new "Australian army" RS badges, and nothing like the repros you can get....I was surprised at how hard these are to find

I must add - Good shots

AIF
    ?

Nice score Tony!

?

Thanks mate....I personally think it's the least attractive RS badge

AIF
    ?

I actually don't mind them myself... I think the wording on the current suns is pretty gay though 'The Australian Army' just doesn't have the same ring to it as the old 'Australian Military Forces' title.

?

I can see your point, but it's pretty well liked in the army.....makes it a purely Army insignia, as it's always been

?

It used to be worn on both grades of slouch hat, grade 1, with the side turned up for parades and etc, and grade two with a flat brim and the badge facing down.....the current Chief of Army thought it was disrespectful to have the badge facing down and there fore banned it's wear on grade two....there was quite the uproar, the simple fact is soldiers like,wearing the rising sun