The Edward VII version
    Attached Images Attached Images Recent Cap Badge Buys 
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Default Re: Recent Cap Badge Buys

Recent Cap Badge Buys

The left side gives me a uneasy feeling. The way the edges are however, it seems to be stamped.

Sadly mate, it is a copy, the weak reverse details and the lugs are obvious signs of an iffy modern copy and I asked elsewhere just to be certain and the M should be attached by pins that would show on the reverse.
    Regards,

Jerry

?

Mhm, I feared so, however was cautiously optimistic. I've contacted the seller to see what I can do about getting a refund.

?

I've had a number of people look and it seems fine to them. Decided to keep it, even if I myself am not convinced.

Also got this bit of interesting info from a veteran:

" Hi Martin, I can tell you what that Badge represents as I was in the Royal Engineers in Malta. The M on the badge if for Malta and only worn by Maltese in the RE.
    The Name of the RE Malta section is:
    Malta Fortress Squadron Royal Engineers or MFSRE
    I was stationed at Lintorn Barracks in Floriana form 1954 to 1960.
    Hope this helps. This Badge as worn on the Dark Blue Beret."

I would not dream of arguing with a Vet, but it is for RE Militia and it is a copy according to all the reference material. Never mind it has a Kings crown and is unlikely to have been worn after 1953, though in this case it should not have been worn after 1916.
    Regards,

Jerry

?

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    I would not dream of arguing with a Vet, but it is for RE Militia and it is a copy according to all the reference material. Never mind it has a Kings crown and is unlikely to have been worn after 1953, though in this case it should not have been worn after 1916.
    King's Own Malta Regiment had the King's crown and continued to use it until the early 70's. Malta was somewhat of an exception to this rule, and I think the badge is original, but made in the 50's/60's for the MFSRE, to supplement the RE Militia badges they already had. I am 99% certain that the KOMR did something like this too, and ordered a post war/late war batch of cap badges, which have the same lugs as the RE M one, and a different way of mounting the cross. I'm still researching this however.

The RE M badge was dropped when the Militia units were amalgamated into the army in 1916. As you obviously don't want my opinion, I will no longer offer it.
    Regards,

Jerry

?

Not to sound rude, I'd take the word of someone who actually wore it over yours. Currently waiting for some pictures, if he can find any. I've now got it from 2 independent sources that they were used by the RE in Malta.

Quote by Nitram View Post
    Not to sound rude, I'd take the word of someone who actually wore it over yours. Currently waiting for some pictures, if he can find any. I've now got it from 2 independent sources that they were used by the RE in Malta.
    Well sadly you do sound rude, but never mind and if you can provide evidence to support your position I will eat my words, though why you think the RE on Malta would have had made in your words "but made in the 50's/60's for the MFSRE to supplement the RE Militia badges they already had " a cap badge with the Royal Cypher of George V of a unit that had not existed since 1916 I fail to understand. So even you are not sure if it is RE Malta or RE Militia, whilst all the books and other forums and from a google search none of which list a RE Malta badge you still maintain that it is a for the RE Malta.

Though this is all academic as it is a fake anyway, as the construction is wrong from known originals.
    Regards,

Jerry

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast