Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Royal Air Force Air Gunners Badge

Article about: Purchased what I beleive to be a Royal Air Force Air gunners Badge the badge it self is quite large approx 8-5 inches I do not recognize the fist clentching arrows had though I had see this

?

Default Royal Air Force Air Gunners Badge

Purchased what I beleive to be a Royal Air Force Air gunners Badge the badge it self is quite large approx 8-5 inches I do not recognize the fist clentching arrows had though I had see this on some American Badges any help would be appricated all comments are welcome.

Regards Mark K
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Royal Air Force Air Gunners Badge   Royal Air Force Air Gunners Badge  

Royal Air Force Air Gunners Badge   Royal Air Force Air Gunners Badge  

Default Re: Royal Air Force Air Gunners Badge

I have never seen this badge or this colour combination on any official RAF wings.

Cheers, Ade.

never seen this rafy badge i thought they were plain with a plain wreath and no crown

tom

?

I was thinking it was British because I could not find a Canadian example of this Badge I wonder if it is a fantasy piece Gentlemen.

Regards Mark K

WhiskyLima
    ?

Hi Mark:
    This looks to me like a Canadian WWII Crest Craft example designed to be worn on a jacket. You can see a similar one (WAG), although not nearly as elegant as yours at:
    https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/C...circa_1943.jpg

Regards,
    Wayne Logus

Hi Mark, I too have never seen this type of badge, but I would say that it is a duel insignia for a Wireless operator/Air gunner. Leon.

The fist and lighting bolts are the same as the RAF wireless operators trade patch.

Cheers
    Harry

?

Quote by WhiskyLima View Post
    Hi Mark:
    This looks to me like a Canadian WWII Crest Craft example designed to be worn on a jacket. You can see a similar one (WAG), although not nearly as elegant as yours at:
    https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/C...circa_1943.jpg

Regards,
    Wayne Logus
    Thanks for the link Wayne it was a very well made patch and it is good to finaly be able to identify this Crest I wonder if this particular example was intended for a blazer and is post war constructed.
    I have since gifted it on to a fellow collector in the UK that was a keen RAF collector.

Regards Mark

WhiskyLima
    ?

Hi Mark:
    I would guess it was manufactured during WWII. I'm glad it found a good home but I'm leaning towards thinking it was issued to someone in the RCAF, just because most (but not all) of Gus Werle's Crest Craft patches were made for Canadian issue in WWII. The lines, responsibilities, and units were often blurred during the war so perhaps it doesn't matter. Given the size, I would definitely say it was an unofficial design and would have been worn on a jacket by a airman proud of his trade.

?

Hi Wayne thanks again it was part of a larger grouping when I purchased it and as I do not collect RAF and or RCAF items for the most part unless it is head gear related I possibly think now I should have maybe kept this one but I am content with the fact it was given to a fellow collector that could really appreciate it for what it was .

Regards Mark