Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Royal Artillery Cap Badge

Article about: Although I've seen and handled many of these badges I have never seen one with this style of construction. Is this a common variant? Maker marked J.R Gaunt London. Thanks for looking. Tom

Default Royal Artillery Cap Badge

Although I've seen and handled many of these badges I have never seen one with this style of construction. Is this a common variant?
    Maker marked J.R Gaunt London. Thanks for looking.

Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Royal Artillery Cap Badge   Royal Artillery Cap Badge  

Default Re: Royal Artillery Cap Badge

Not something I know much about, but does it have a revolving wheel? I know you get WWI economy badges which are of a lesser quality than the norm and also revolving wheel RA badges tend to be WWI I think.

Sorry I can't help much on this one Tom.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Hi Tom, I cannot say I have seen one like it either.

I suspect is is an Officers private purchase item worn on the dress cap.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Not something I know much about, but does it have a revolving wheel? I know you get WWI economy badges which are of a lesser quality than the norm and also revolving wheel RA badges tend to be WWI I think.

Sorry I can't help much on this one Tom.
    Thanks Jerry. Wheel is a separate attachment, but does not move. Does not look to be of lesser quality, actually thicker than most pressed badges.

Tom

Quote by StuG III View Post
    Thanks Jerry. Wheel is a separate attachment, but does not move. Does not look to be of lesser quality, actually thicker than most pressed badges.

Tom
    I was thinking of the detailing on the reverse, though officers badges often have less detail on the reverse, so as Ade suggested, that is probably what it is.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Tom, I cannot say I have seen one like it either.

I suspect is is an Officers private purchase item worn on the dress cap.

Cheers, Ade.
    Thanks Ade. I suspect you could be correct.

Tom

The way it is cast and maker named is just like similar Officers bronze cap badges.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thanks, Jerry & Ade. Don't know too much about these badges.

Tom

this badge looks to be a cast one, many badges were sand cast in Egypt and especially in India. If the caster used a badge with the Gaunt marks then that is what you would see on the cast badge, after all many regiments spent a good no. of years abroad and could only source replacement badges locally, John.