Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Royal Engineers badge

Article about: According to the seller and Rob, this is an unusual variant with ten flames. Is it a collar badge or what else? I know Rob has one on an armband.

Default Royal Engineers badge

According to the seller and Rob, this is an unusual variant with ten flames. Is it a collar badge or what else? I know Rob has one on an armband.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Royal Engineers badge   Royal Engineers badge  

Royal Engineers badge  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Default Re: Royal Engineers badge

It's a nice example. As I mentioned before, i have a few of these that belonged to one man, an RE Lt-Colonel who was CRE of 22nd Division in WW1. He used them as collar badges and on his CRE armband too.

I'll get some pictures to add to the thread.

Rob

I cannot even remember seeing one for sale before? Nice find

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    I cannot even remember seeing one for sale before? Nice find

Cheers, Ade.
    Thanks Ade, it was on the WAF in amongst a lot of other brit stuff and I thought it was a good price for an unusual item.

I am looking forward to Rob posting some pics of his examples.
    Regards,

Jerry

Here are my examples of this badge:

Royal Engineers badge

These items all belonged to a Lt-Colonel Charles H Fox, a WWI officer who was the Commander, Royal Engineers (CRE) of 22nd Division. I have included two of his shoulder straps as well (clearly he was a Major the last time he wore them). The black bar at the bottom of each strap is the divisional sign for 22nd Division, known as a "Salonika Strip", as all British divisions in this theatre used a different coloured strip. I have a lot of items from this officer including his medals and more insignia.

Close ups:

Royal Engineers badge]Royal Engineers badge

His staff armband for CRE, with a mounted collar badge. Red armbands, of course, signified a Divisional appointment.

Royal Engineers badgeRoyal Engineers badge

His collar badges. These actually form two sets, the one on the armband matches the odd one.

Rob

Hi Rob, do these armbands usually have an E on them instead of the badge?
    Regards,

Jerry

Quote by Bond View Post
    Hi Rob, do these armbands usually have an E on them instead of the badge?
    Yes I believe so. Certainly the references I have read suggest a black 'E', and definitely by WW2 this was the case. However there were many variations, and I guess this is one of them There isn't a really good reference on staff armbands (or 'Armlets' as I believe they are properly called) that I have ever seen.

Rob