Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

RTR / RAC insignia

Article about: by ian adrian you forget that 90% of the rac are and were cavalry regements ok im biast and ill shut up 17/21L for ever oh and the 1st RTR havent seen a tank for ten years they are an NBC re

?

Default Re: RTR / RAC insignia

Quote by ian View Post
    adrian you forget that 90% of the rac are and were cavalry regements
    ok im biast and ill shut up 17/21L for ever

oh and the 1st RTR havent seen a tank for ten years they are an NBC reg
    believe it or not the cavelry still moan about the guards armoured
    they say tanks are not for grunts to play with
    yea i know aragance of the cav
    Wasnt only Guards Armoured. Quite a few Guards battalions were mechanised in WW2.
    It always annoyed my late grandfather that only GAD ever got mentioned "in the books", he was 4th Btn Grenadier Guards in 6th Guards (independant) Tank Brigade on Churchill's!

ILH
    ?

Default Re: RTR / RAC insignia

Used to know a chap who was Guards armoured....
    got a bit pissed of with a German AT gun knocking out his section- ordered his crew out and ran his tank off the side of one of the 'bridges too far' to land on the gun!
    He also said that they captured the last train of champagne bound for Berlin- strapped the crates to the tanks and went on...... the bottles started popping and the germans scarpered at the new wunderweapon.... unfortunately the remains were confiscated by the MPs before much was drunk!

Sounds like perfectly respectable cavalry behaviour to me....
    Or perhaps cavalry wouldn't have left any fizz for the MPs?
    what do I know; I'm for the Imperial Light Horse- South African Mounted Infantry in tanks- Middle East, Africa, and Italy.

?

Hi Ade,

Can you contact me PM regarding this book.

Thanks

joel.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Not insignia this time but a book, entitled "Frolics in the Thirty First" .

The cover shows the Divisional insignia of the famous 79th Armoured Division and the diablo insignia of the 31st Tank Brigade.

The book consists of cartoons and verses about the men of the unit. The detail in the drawings is really good.

Cheers, Ade.

Please send me a PM.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by ian View Post
    the cavelry still moan about the guards armoured
    they say tanks are not for grunts to play with
    yea i know aragance of the cav
    And the "gentlemen" of the traditional old cavalry (Lancers, Hussars and Dragoons) many of whom still descend from priviledged backgrounds are wont to refer to the RTR as "Chav Cav" a reference to the "Grammar School" backgrounds of most of their officers playing on the slang word Chav;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chav

It would be funny if it were just banter

Great badges Ade, I really like those big shoulder titles. For years I got away with wearing a pair like that (RMP) instead of the nasty little staybrite ones. Occasionally some marionette would object but as ever "bulls**t baffles brains"

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 05-11-2016 at 01:28 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2