Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Small group of Reconnaissance Corps insignia

Article about: Anon is correct, it is a replica badge. If you want a good Recce badge, get a plastic economy issue or hallmarked sterling silver or die struck brass with a tapering slider as shown below.

Default Small group of Reconnaissance Corps insignia

Hi Guys, I bought this small named group of insignia to a soldier of the Recce Corps many years ago now at the old Nottingham Arms Fair.

The group comprises of a rare shoulder title of a pattern only authorised for a month in 1943, a cap badge, dark green backed Corporal's stripes and a photo of the owner which had his name and address on the back.

The soldiers name was Clp Edward "Joe" Wailes. I do not know which Recce Regt he belonged to. He wears the Khaki beret authorised for the Corps. After late 1944 they changed to wearing the black beret of the RAC.

Adding dark green baze backing to the stripes was a popular, if non regulation practice, for wear on the best "BD".

Cheers, Ade
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Small group of Reconnaissance Corps insignia   Small group of Reconnaissance Corps insignia  

Attached Images Attached Images Small group of Reconnaissance Corps insignia 

?

I know that this is "dragging from the depths", but I am going to purely because I have managed to pick up a Recce Corps cap badge from my local market. (Photo's will be posted later)

Mine is slightly different to Ade's above in that it has the "rings" on the back for a split-pin fitting instead of a lug slider.

Regards etc
    Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

Hi Ian, I look forwards to seeing your new badge.

I also have an Officers bronze badge.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

A good grouping Ade.

I have one with flat lugs on the reverse, a late war type sometimes also seen on RTR and PARA badges.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Small group of Reconnaissance Corps insignia   Small group of Reconnaissance Corps insignia  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Nice badge. I like that style of fitting.

My little group cost £30 back in the good old days of affordable stuff.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Very nice

?

Finally got the pic's done, (Hopefully not too blurry!!)

Do your worst boys!

Regards etc

Ian D

Small group of Reconnaissance Corps insignia   Small group of Reconnaissance Corps insignia  

Quote by jimpy View Post
    Finally got the pic's done, (Hopefully not too blurry!!)

Do your worst boys!

Regards etc

Ian D

Sorry mate, not a good one IMO. The lugs looks awful and I suspect they have the dustbin feet. Also the center shaft of the arrow appears to be thinner below the scroll than it is above, it should be the same in both areas, this is hard to see from your pics, but should be easy to see in the hand. This shows best in Ade's picture as mine has a shadow down they side which obscures it.
    Regards,

Jerry

?

Fair enough Jerry.

The lugs didn't bother me/set any alarm bells ringing because I have a couple of other cap badges that have the same type of fitting and I know that they are 100% genuine, (as issued to and straight from relatives!)

Wasn't sure about the arrow, as it is a LONG time since I actually saw one of these "in the hand" (Over 20 years!!) Maybe time and the heart over-ruled the brain on this one

Regards etc
    Ian D

No problem with having lugs, it is the way they are attached that looks wrong and they appear to have feet that look like dustbin lids, though your pics as you mention, do not allow me to see them clearly. Regardless of the lugs, the arrow shaft is the killer if it is thinner below the scroll than it is above.
    Regards,

Jerry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast