Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SOUTH AFRICAN TANK CORPS Cap Badge

Article about: The way I understand it there was no badge for the 6th Armoured Division. Whatever service you belonged to, that's the badge you wore (Engineers, Medical, Artillery, etc.) I think that you m

Post SOUTH AFRICAN TANK CORPS Cap Badge

SOUTH AFRICAN TANK CORPS Cap BadgeSOUTH AFRICAN TANK CORPS Cap Badge

Greeting Gents:

I got this South African Tank Corps Badge Recently, and need your kind assistance / Opinion about this Cap Badge.

As far as I know this badge was use by the South African that serve in the British Army during WW2.

Also will like to know the History about this badge, Thanks in advance!

Best Regards
    Joe
    Last edited by JoeLiao; 08-07-2012 at 06:46 PM.

Default Re: SOUTH AFRICAN TANK CORPS Cap Badge

Hi Joe, a nice badge. White metal, no?

If you look at the attachment below you'll see the different badges used by the S.African Tank Corps during WW2.
    The first two (#1471 & 1474) were used from May 1940 - Sept 1941. The badge (#1480) was used from Sept 1941 - March 1943.
    Badge #1483 is cited as being a variation also used from '41 - '43.
    The badge is basically copied from the original British Tank Corps badge. The difference being the lack of crown and adding of "Ons Is" ("We Are") instead of "Fear Naught"

Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SOUTH AFRICAN TANK CORPS Cap Badge  
    Last edited by StuG III; 08-07-2012 at 08:33 PM. Reason: add attachment.

Post Re: SOUTH AFRICAN TANK CORPS Cap Badge

Dear Tom:

Thanks so much for the reply and the well explanation, Glad to see a SA collectors around here!

But I still got questions regards about the cap badge. According what I read the SA Tank Corps did fought all the way into the Italy after 1943. So if this cap badge was abandoned after 1943, what type of Tank Badge will the SA soldier wear while they fight in Italy? The British one?

I'm not sure about the material of the badge, but it feel similar material like the German Tombak or Nickal Silver badges...
    Here is more detail attachment about the badge, do you think is original war period one?

Best Regards
    Joe
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SOUTH AFRICAN TANK CORPS Cap Badge   SOUTH AFRICAN TANK CORPS Cap Badge  

SOUTH AFRICAN TANK CORPS Cap Badge  

It's white metal and a good badge.

After 1943 they would have been integrated into the Special Service Battalion, which had then became armoured. They would then have worn the SSB badges.

The SSB badge then stayed the same and was later renamed the SAAC (S.African Armoured Corps) in 1963.
    Hope this helps.

Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images SOUTH AFRICAN TANK CORPS Cap Badge  SOUTH AFRICAN TANK CORPS Cap Badge 

These are the later versions. Note how the first one also resembles the British Badge.

Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SOUTH AFRICAN TANK CORPS Cap Badge  

Dear Tom:

Thanks once again! I'm a Student collectors from Pretoria, and got this one in the War Museum at Joberb as a Souvenir.

Do you maybe have the same badge as this one? If it's ok for you to upload the attachment for me? Coz I got different opinion form other Forum, Say this one might not be the Original!? Well... this is really not my field, so got kind of confused right now..

Ha Ha I'm actually from Taiwan, but have been stay in South Africa over 10 years, for me this one is really a meaningful Souvenir.

Joe, I don't actually collect SA militaria any more. Here's one to compare. I have never come across a fake of these badges before so fear not friend, it's a good one.

Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images SOUTH AFRICAN TANK CORPS Cap Badge 

Dear Tom:

Thank hey! Glad is a Good one! SA militaria also not my field, TR stuff is my main collection.

One more question, Do the SA 6th armoured division 6th Armoured Division (South Africa) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Also wear the SSB badges after 1943?

Best Regards
    Joe

That would be my understanding, but things didn't always happen according to rules and regulations. The Tank Corps was "disbanded " in 1943, so their badge would have been obsolete.
    Bear in mind that not all of the 6th division members would have worn the SSB badge, only the armoured corps.

Tom

Dear Tom:

So I guess most of the 6th division members wear their own "Unit cap Badge" some of are not.
    For example: 11th Armoured Brigade in the SA 6th division will be possibly wear:Prince Alice's Own Pretoria Regiment, Prince Alfred's Guard and Special Service Battalion Badges?

Here is the reference: 6th Armoured Division (South Africa) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Best Regards
    Joe

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast