Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

UK Military Badge

Article about: I see genuine ones going for 20 GBP on ebay, so much lower for a restrike. Tom

Default UK Military Badge

Information on this badge would come in handy........is it true or false and what is its UK value ?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture UK Military Badge   UK Military Badge  

Default Re: UK Military Badge

This badge did exist but the reverse says fake to me for what it's worth. I have handled many restrikes of British badges, however never one like this so I could be wrong.

It looks like a restrike to me. The contours on the back seem a bit to "crisp" and a bit tinny.

I saw one for sale in a dealers a few weeks ago, i think they were asking £20.

A definite restrike badge, note the flaw running from top just below the left hand horn through to the bottom right hand of the mooring rope.
    The detail on the original are much more crisp.

Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images UK Military Badge 

One on the right is original.

Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture UK Military Badge   UK Military Badge  

Why bother faking a relatively low value item like this???

At the end of the Great War, the Admiralty appointed an International Mine Clearance Committee on which 26 countries were represented. The Supreme War Council allotted each Power an area to clear, the largest falling to Great Britain. Some 40,000 square miles of sea needed clearing. In February 1919 a Mine Clearance Service was formed with special rates of pay and conditions of service. Members of the Service wore a specific metal cuff badge and cap tally. By the end of 1919 over 23,000 Allied and 70 German mines had been swept with the loss of half a dozen minesweepers. (History of Minewarfare)

The service was abolished in 1920. I would think that they were therefore not made in large numbers and as always, where there is a demand....

Tom

The RN Minewarfare Branch

A photo of badge in wear, well part of it anyway....

Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture UK Military Badge  

Does it have any value ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast