Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Unknown British Formation badges

Article about: Hi chaps I picked these up today, but it is not a badge I recognise. I'm guessing they date from the fifties as the WW2 ones are very well documented. Does anyone know who they are for? Than

Default Unknown British Formation badges

Hi chaps

I picked these up today, but it is not a badge I recognise. I'm guessing they date from the fifties as the WW2 ones are very well documented. Does anyone know who they are for?

Thanks

EdUnknown British Formation badges

55th West Lancashire division, disbanded December 1942
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

An odd version as most I can find for sale have as you would expect a red rose, though the version shown in a B&W photo in Cole's Heraldry in War has a white rose like this, though the verbal description says it has a red rose

Try a search on the Brittons at war dealer site for a number of examples of the "normal" version.
    Regards,

Jerry

Thanks, i had assumed it was Yorkshire due to the rose! Not bad for £1.50 for a printed and embroidered one then...

Quote by Warspite View Post
    Thanks, i had assumed it was Yorkshire due to the rose! Not bad for £1.50 for a printed and embroidered one then...
    Price is good and my first thoughts were Yorkshire, odd that it has white rose for lancs. Perhaps as you suggested a post war version for a Yorkshire unit, but as you mention the literature is not there for the later period, or not in my library at least.
    Regards,

Jerry

Got it.

YORKSHIRE AND NORTHUMBERLAND TRAINING BRIGADE
    Regards,

Jerry

Brilliant- thanks Jerry! Looks like it is post war (just) which would explain why it was so hard to track down!

badge formation Yorkshire Northumberland Training Brigade Group (INS 6921)

The badge is similar in all respects, other than that the colour of the rose is white rather than red, with the sign of the 55th (West Lancashire) Division of WW1 and 2, itself adopted by the post WW2 TA 24 Engineer Group. The connection between the Division and the Training Brigade is not clear. Cole states that the badge represents the preponderence of Yorkshire units in the Group, which contained all the Yorkshire Regiments (except the KOYLI, which were in the Light Infantry Group), plus the Northumberland Fusiliers. Training Brigade Groups were formed in 1947 with the reorganization of the Infantry. The Groups brought together neighbouring County Regiments or groups of regiments with associated traditions (eg: Light Infantry). Men were theoretically liable for service in any unit in the Group. The signs were worn on the left arm only, below the unit shoulder title.

Existed from July 1948 - July 1957
    Regards,

Jerry