Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unknown British item

Article about: Hi this came with a British Desert campaign helmet I have, does anyone know what it's for, I thought maybe worn around the waist by mine clearance engineers as I.D.

?

Default Unknown British item

Hi this came with a British Desert campaign helmet I have, does anyone know what it's for, I thought maybe worn around the waist by mine clearance engineers as I.D.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown British item   Unknown British item  

Unknown British item   Unknown British item  

Unknown British item  

?

That's really interesting and I hope someone can answer you as I'd like to know too.

Tony

?

Here's the helmet it came with, I have posted it on here a while ago. Good job it's not German as it would be branded a fake with dodgy tool marks and scratches .
    Attached Images Attached Images Unknown British item 
    Last edited by busman; 09-14-2015 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Add

POW number?

Obviously it is on an airtex belt from a bush jacket. Interesting item.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Any ideas to what it may be.

?

Very puzzling. If they made over 7,000 of these then why have we not seen one before? Not an RE item that I recognise. Any clues inside the sleeve? The belt itself could just possibly be a red herring.
    Would the IWM reply if you sent them an email?

Oz.

Taking a couple of shots here ( I don't know a great deal about British items)
    did the British have any armored id #'s like some german panzers?
    even if that is the case who would carry around a number patch- just taking a shot

?

The IWM is a route I hadn't thought of. I will send off an email . Many thanks for the info. I haven't taken it off the belt but will do to see if any clues inside.

where did you source it? if its a vets family they may jave an idea or pics. this is quite the puzzle. people didnt just go walking around with a random number on a patch especially one that has decent workmanship. there is a definite reason for that patch/sleeve.
    Im gonna keep taking some shots
    is It some type of unit marking for a leader like a sargent for people to assemble to?
    is it backlight reactive?

also construction- it was machine sewn but the person who did it was clearly a novice as has overhanging numbers ect.

This is about the level I am able to sew too. the numbers are on there, dont worry how it looks

?

I have removed from the belt and turned inside out , but nothing written to give an idea to its meaning , interestingly when removed from the belt, the belt itself has a permanent fold where the patch has been slipped over, looks as though the two have been together a while.Also no modern man made threads present.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown British item   Unknown British item  

Unknown British item  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast