Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unknown pin. American?

Article about: Hello all, I mainly collect German items and do not have much experience with American items. Honestly I have no idea if this even a U.S. piece. Nor if it is WWII or earlier. It looks like i

?

Default Unknown pin. American?

Hello all,

I mainly collect German items and do not have much experience with American items. Honestly I have no idea if this even a U.S. piece. Nor if it is WWII or earlier. It looks like it may be hand made, possibly "trench art". I say this because the edges have small saw marks visible. I could not get a shot that shows this with the camera I used I may try again with a different lens later. There are no manufacturer marks on it either. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Hummel
    Attached Images Attached Images Unknown pin. American?  Unknown pin. American? 

32nd Degree Masonic ?

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

?

I didn't even consider the possibility of it not being military related. I will look in that direction to see what I can find.

Thanks,
    Hummel

Hummel: The wing pattern looks like WWI US Air Service. Depending on the size of the wings, it could be a sweetheart pin or more likely a device intended to identify something the soldier owned. The 32nd Aero Squadron was a repair squadron at the Issoudun training center from September 1917 to April 1919. I have an aviation mechanic's tool box from that period that has a rather large set of field-made (trench art) Air Service wings attached to the top of the tool box. The work quality is very high, much like yours. What you have, again depending on the size, might be something like that. Hope this helps. Dwight

With clutch-back posts and 'berries' in the shoulders of the wings,
    It's an unofficial US Navy P-3 Squadron wing - a Vietnam
    era piece.........
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 04-02-2014 at 07:14 AM. Reason: Additions
    Regards,

Steve.

Are those clutch backs or screw backs? I guess my eyes arent as sharp as they used to be, but it looks almost like threads on them...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

The size of the device is about 3" x 1/2". The pins are not threaded. Anyone know when the butterfly clutch was invented or first used in the U.S.? I can't seem to find any real history on who invented them or when.

Thanks,
    Hummel

There you go-everything you ever wanted to know about clutchbacks and more...(to answer the question, it looks like 1942 they 1st came into use)
    Dating Metallic Insignia: Clutch Fasteners
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Good link

?

That is truly everything I was looking for on clutch pins Wagriff.
    And thank you Walkwolf for identifying the pin.

Hummel

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast