Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Unknown WW2 Allied Patches

Article about: Hi all, i have a couple of patches but i have no ideas which units they represent, one looks to be British and the other american. Does anyone have any idea what type of patches they are? An

Default Unknown WW2 Allied Patches

Hi all, i have a couple of patches but i have no ideas which units they represent, one looks to be British and the other american. Does anyone have any idea what type of patches they are? Any help identifying the patches would be very much appreciated.

Unknown WW2 Allied PatchesUnknown WW2 Allied Patches

Many Thanks
    Cheers
    Harry

Hello Harry. I'm just wondering if the upper patch is carrier pigeon related? The other sure does look U.S but I have no idea on it, w/o further research. Best regards. And good luck with your inquiry.

Brian

?

The red and white patch is for the 6th Army Group.

It was activated in Texas 1 / 25 / 1943

Started fighting as an Army Group in the Pacific in September of 1944.Kicked a$$ through islands and the Phililippines with 37,854 casualties.
    Then served in the occupation of Japan.

Good patch.

Yes the red and white patch should be square on and the 6 bars represent the 6th Army Group.

The 6th Army Group HQ was organized in Corsica August 1944 (became fully operational sept 44) and served as control of US and French forces in the Invasion of Southern France August 1944.

Steve what you are referring to is Sixth US Army out of Ft Sam Houston.

Phill

Phill

Thanks for the replies and information, i was looking for a while what unit it maybe, i must have been through every U.S. army and division, it is surprising how many units there were. The British patch Pigeon related is a good idea, i will look through royal signals insignia and see if i can find it.

Many Thanks
    Harry

Quote by Harry Davey View Post
    Hi all, i have a couple of patches but i have no ideas which units they represent, one looks to be British and the other american. Does anyone have any idea what type of patches they are? Any help identifying the patches would be very much appreciated.

Unknown WW2 Allied PatchesUnknown WW2 Allied Patches
    Many Thanks
    Cheers
    Harry
    I am not that well up on US patches but I think the green one is an early Northern Ireland District patch which was in use until 1943 when the commonly recognised three bar gate replaced it.

The folklore I have always been told is that with the initials NID making up the French word for nest the design is something of a pun

So the carrier pigeon idea, which is sound logic, is a bit of a red herring

Anyone else have a better idea?

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 05-16-2016 at 04:51 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thanks mark, that is the one.

Many Thanks
    Harry

A nice patch, I am away so could not look it up for you Harry. Possible uncommonly seen.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Great spotting Mark and story.

Yes First pattern 1939 NID printed. It was amalgamated with BTNI 1943 as per Mark.

Phill