Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

US Army Airforce Aircrew wings

Article about: Nice set of US Army Air force wings , the owner who was a young boy living in Auckland during WW2. He and other young kids would go to the US Navy Mobile hospital Number 4 , asking the vario

Default US Army Airforce Aircrew wings

Nice set of US Army Air force wings , the owner who was a young boy living in Auckland during WW2.
    He and other young kids would go to the US Navy Mobile hospital Number 4 , asking the various wounded types
    for Hersheys bars and alike.
    The usual reply was....You gotta sister kid ?....!!
    On one occasion a guy in a wheelchair gave out the wings . ( No sister either!!!)
    The hospital was located in Auckland on Market Rd, on the site of former sports grounds.
    I wondered what someone was doing with Army wings in a Navy hospital ? Was it common for Army injured to use Navy facilities ?

Regards
    Mike
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US Army Airforce Aircrew wings   US Army Airforce Aircrew wings  

Gidday Mike

The US Army Air Force was part of the US Army which was made up of Army Ground Forces , Army Air Forces and Army Service Forces. The AAF was not an independent agency of the US until 1948 or there abouts.
    The Pacific campaign was known as the Island hopping campaign so battles were fought and then the wounded were brought back to Aus/NZ to convalesce. They didn't segregate on what service to put wounded and convalescing personnel so you could get a mix of Army , Army AF, Navy, Marine corp and coast guard.
    The pacific campaign had many unique features one was the combined operations between US Army and US marine Corp units so again you would get a mix of wounded.

Phill

Hi Phil,
    Thanks for the feedback, I was unaware about both services being served, it certainly makes sense.
    Regards Mike

Nice rare wing - a pattern that I've never seen before.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

If you look closely at the reverse right hand side of the wing there looks like a feint outline of a makers mark. The wing looks crude so it might be Aus or NZ made (?) Just guessing as this is not my speciality area.
    US Army aircrew wings were used by Aviation cadets before they branched out into their respective disciplines ie Pilot, Navigator , aerial gunner etc..

Phill

Looks like the faint word STERLING...........
    Regards,

Steve.

It could be Steve

Mike can you confirm the feint outline...........I like a good mystery!

Phill

Walkwolf, you get the chocolates, .. STERLING.... it is, the main word appears to be cast, and the faint wording is stamped...rather badly! Why twice?
    I agree about an unusual wing ...as I could not find an exact match researching it. But I enjoy the wings and the story with it.

Regards Mike

Looks like someone was very keen to get the point across...that it was.... Sterling silver.....it appears 3 times, as photo shows.
    Well picked up Phill..

Regards Mike
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US Army Airforce Aircrew wings  

The dies for wing badges were loaned/shared with other
    insignia companies for the war effort, and sometimes
    original markings were erased or partly obscured.

There are many patterns. This one, with it's fine
    feathering, could be an Aussie made piece,
    although it has the look of a 'Pasquale'
    or 'Beverlycraft' design.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast