Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

US Cloth Insignia

Article about: A mere few years back, (well about 25 years actually but it don't seem that long ago!!) I decided a jacket I had would be much improved with some patches on it and being pre internet days I

Default US Cloth Insignia

A mere few years back, (well about 25 years actually but it don't seem that long ago!!) I decided a jacket I had would be much improved with some patches on it and being pre internet days I had a bit deeks thru' one of the aviation mags (Flypast or something similar no doubt) as they usually have purveyors of patches and such like advertising in them and sent me SAE away for a catalogue from one such place (I can't remember the name now, but they did a nice colour catalogue full of repro military and aviation badges, patches and all things similar) and to cut a long story short they had some US Armoured and Tank Destroyer patches which I decided would do the job, now as well as the repro/replica ones they had some which were described as unissued but original WW2 made ones, these ones were only a couple of quid more that the repro's so I thought it was worth a risk, even if they ended up as fakes, as they were that cheap.
    I got the patches and I noticed they seemed pretty well made and could well of been original but in my eyes they looked brand new so I figured that's what they were, basically brand new and not 45 years old, but as I said I wasn't really bothered as I was half expecting that anyhow, and because it was pre internet days i couldn't come on here and ask the experts and all that.
    Now that I had them I also realised sewing wasn't a skill that came naturally to me and some I chucked them into an old ammo box with other assorted crap...and forgot about them totally.
    Fast forward a couple of decades and I've rediscovered them and my curiosity has been aroused and all that and since we now have forums like this I thought I'd ask..."Are they real??"

Some anyone out there who can tell from these pics? Colour is a bit iffy, dunno if it's my camera or the monitor I'm looking at, not sure how they will appear to everyone else but the colours seem a bit too light on my screen compared to the actual patches themselves, especially the blue. They don't glow under a blacklight either for what it's worth.

Many Thanks...oh and sorry for the War and Peace type epic novel to start the post off!!

First one...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US Cloth Insignia   US Cloth Insignia  

US Cloth Insignia   US Cloth Insignia  

US Cloth Insignia  

The next one...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US Cloth Insignia   US Cloth Insignia  

US Cloth Insignia  

Finally the Tank Destroyer patch...

US Cloth Insignia  

Nobody any idea if they are real or not? Back into the box they go...

?

I am pretty sure the 4 armored is 50s production. It has the army green edging as opposed to the OD. I don't like the Tank destroyer badge at all. The first armored stands a chance but a hands on inspection would be needed to make sure.
    2 out of 3 isn't bad friend.

Thanks for the info, it's good to have an idea of what's what with them. I'd be happy enough with 2 out of 3!!

I agree completely with Steve. The TD patch appears to have nylon thread on the back, which is an instant give away of a modern piece. Also pay attention to the borders of the armor patches for future reference, they are otherwise indistinguishable!!

Gidday there

This is the 4th US Armoured Division c 1957 , it has the Army Green border and is regarded as a cut edge pre 1966 merrowed edge SSI. This would of been based in Germany from 57 onwards.

Phill

1st US Armoured Division OLD Ironsides again post 57 with Army green border.

Phill

Tank Destroyer is a reproduction . Should light up like a xmas tree if you put a black light over it.

Phill