Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

US Collar brass question

Article about: I have a relatively mundane question, but one that I cannot easily find answer to while searching on-line. Is there a way to differentiate between US collar brass that are WWII vs. being pos

Default US Collar brass question

I have a relatively mundane question, but one that I cannot easily find answer to while searching on-line.
    Is there a way to differentiate between US collar brass that are WWII vs. being post-WWII?
    Any input would be greatly appreciated!
    Brian

Default Re: US Collar brass question

ANYONE???? Here are some images of the ones that I have in question.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US Collar brass question   US Collar brass question  

Hi Brian, it is a pretty safe bet that these are wartime era as they are flat backed and screwbacked fittings.

Postwar they changed to a domed shape and after that to clutch pin fasteners.

Cheers, Ade.

Ade is correct. As well, there were 'economy' types
    manufactured in one piece...............

Clutch-back insignia however, was in use by 1943.
    Regards,

Steve.

?

they all look early WW 11 or berfore

Thanks all for opining! I appreciate it!
    Got 2 sets of these as gifts for my kids. I just wanted to make sure they were getting what I thought they were...

Greetings & Salutations! Prior to the Second World War they sold collar brass with a screw-post, but came up with single piece brass in 1942 and I was issued the same from old stock in 1959. We threw it away and purchased two-piece brass at the P.X. (Post Exchange), domned brass was not legal and only saw Military Police wearing it and those in the Army National Guard, most NCOs! It is very collectible now because so much of is was tossed in the trash like the bakelite (plastic) nadges of the British Army, worth more too than brass metal badges. A lot of the screw-back brass was darkened bronze in World War One and in 1924 they took off the darkening agent and gold-plated the stocks and the P.X. sold them too, but restrikes in plated brass. There are two types of single piece collar disks, one has a small rectagular piece of lead or pot metal holding the attachment in place. I was there in the Army of the United States in the 1950s and recall first-hand! Respectfully yours, Sarge Booker of Tujunga
    Herbert Hillary Booker 2nd