Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

US patch question

Article about: Hello, I was looking through my box of patches and found this one, I don’t have any others like this with the extra fabric surrounding it. I am wondering if it was just never cut out or if i

Default US patch question

Hello, I was looking through my box of patches and found this one, I don’t have any others like this with the extra fabric surrounding it. I am wondering if it was just never cut out or if it was issued like this?

Cheers,
    Bodhi

US patch question
    US patch question

?

It would have come in a roll and then cut with the edges folded then sewn on mate.

Thanks for the help!

Cheers,
    Bodhi

Hi Bodhi

These are known as WWI Liberty Loan patches , that were part of the patriotic WWI War Bonds scheme.

They were never intended as to be worn on the uniform,however returning doughboys handed in their used dusty uniforms and were outfitted with new issued ones and Liberty Loan patches were used to smarten up the uniforms for parades.

They were made by E H Kluge which patented the fold (By the inventor who worked for Kluge) and are woven or commonly known as manufacturing labels that you see on your shirts.

I think there are about 120 different " arm patches" and are very collectible.

Here is Dan Griffin's site:

Patches – Griffin Militaria

Phill

Hello Phill,

Thank you for the information, I had no idea about this I just thought it was a patch. Lots of great new and helpful information that I had no idea about, it seems I accidentally stumbled across a little gem. It came from a large collection of medals, patches, pins etc. When dividing the total price I probably paid less than a dollar for it so I’m quite happy with it. Thanks again for the helpful information you gave to me.

Cheers and sorry for the late response,
    Bodhi E.

?

It's for the 27th Division not sure if anyone mentioned that, a New York unit. I've had one the same style on a tunic.