Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

US WASP wings in bullion thread

Article about: Hi Guys, these came into work this week. Pretty rare item. I have not seen these done in bullion before. Only 1,074 woman served as WASP's. Ignore the "Blu tack" on the back. Cheer

Default US WASP wings in bullion thread

Hi Guys, these came into work this week.

Pretty rare item. I have not seen these done in bullion before. Only 1,074 woman served as WASP's.

Ignore the "Blu tack" on the back.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US WASP wings in bullion thread   US WASP wings in bullion thread  

Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Very nice Ade

Very unusual ! Never seen one in bullion before.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Wow....Nice insignia! I wonder who it once belonged to, to be in Bullion?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Beautifully done. It would be a gem in any wing collector's collection.
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Hi Ade

Do you think this is Brit made? The US made didn't use paper backing.

They tended to bullion embroid on felt with cheese cloth backing , or chocolate coloured cloth with muslim backing etc...

I take it the cloth is chocolate colour?

Phill

Hi Phil, I don't honestly know where it could have been made. I don't know a huge amount about the WASP's, but I doubt they served overseas?

The backing is chocolate coloured cloth.

Like I mentioned, I have never seen a pair before.

These came into work with a bunch of other military items. The vendor did not even know what they were.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

No clue where they were made, but I know I wouldn't mind Owning them...lol
    William

Hi Ade

I will research it more , but in the back of my mine I think these are German occupation made c45-46.

Now let me explain , the goods or what its embroidered on (Chocolate cloth) are not the typical US gabardine material and paper backing was used and documented by German manufacturers c45-48 period.

Why would they make them and more importantly WASP wings?

Because the build up of US personnel in Germany 45-50 needed cheap locally made patches and most importantly there were a number of articles books ie National Geographic late 44 early 45 which listed ,in colour,almost every US made patch and insignia used in WWII: Army , Army Air Force , USMC , US navy etc including AAF wings , it became a cottage industry.
    Every now and again you will get US Army Armies, Corps , divisions that served in the pacific and had no connection with the Northern hemisphere operations made in Germany.

Below is an Aerial gunner alleged made in Germany c 45 note similar bullion, chocolate cloth and backing used (not mine picked off ebay).

Also note the patina of the bullion is good and is what to look for an evenness in colour and tone.

If this is the case it would make your pick up very rare , definitely sort after by AAF collectors.

Either way well spotted.

Phill

Attachment 893759

If they needed cheap locally produced insignia, why would they have made them from Bullion rather than regular thread embroidery?
    William

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast