Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

USA cap badge WW2?

Article about: Hello , It is a collar disc. The button is a WWI tunic button. I have to disagree with the comment on the post war hat device only having the pin or nut come off. This is untrue. The US Serv

Fred Green
    ?

Hello ,

It is a collar disc. The button is a WWI tunic button.

I have to disagree with the comment on the post war hat device only having the pin or nut come off. This is untrue. The US Service cap device has pretty much been the same 3 -4 part device since the Second War. Very little change has been made to it. Single piece plastic pieces were made during the war for austerity measures but were dropped after the war. The round backing plat in current pieces have a rounded underfolded edgw where the WWII pieces wereflat. The service cap was dropped from the enlisted uniform regulation in the late 70's but the enlisted dress blue hat still uses the same device but usually in a sta-bright finish.

Fred

jwp
    ?

thanks Fred, pleased the button is great war, I take it my collar badge is a post ww2 example because of the edge to the back plate,
    cheers, John.

Fred Green
    ?

Hello John,

I was referencing the hat device when I talked about a rolled rim, and the rim goes behind and is not seen from the front.

I just looked this disc up in "THE ENCYCLPEDIA OF THE UNITED STATES ARMY INSIGNIA AND UNIFORMS written by William K. Emerson On page 399 he discusses this style of disk. It is for unassigned enlisted personnel and he has a picture of your exact disc. The says that it was made before 1940 and is about an inch in diameter.

Fred

jwp
    ?

many thanks again Fred,
    all the best,
    John.

?

Hello this is not a collar disk, it is a hat badge, it is actually pre ww2- 1930s period the collar insignia is much small than this and usually does not have a nut on the back like this, this style badge is uncommon to find

Fred Green
    ?

Hello Gel65,

It depends on the size. If it is 1" in diameter it is a collar disc. If larger it might be a hat device. The post WWi Hat device that looks like this style has a cross hatch pattern in the background. Sometimes the squares were open and other times they were filled with acorns. Hat devices of this period were single piece and the design and back plate were one piece.
    Collar discs from the early 1900's up to and during WWII were screwback. The clutch back design came into being in the early 1940's.

John, what is the size of this device? Thank you.

Fred

All modern devices are one part excluding the fixing devices is what I ment. WWII and earlier variations generally had the eagle as a seperate part as the disk. Plastic EM badges are very rare and not the normal for WWII. Although plastic coated buttons have been used since WWI.

jwp
    ?

Thanks all again for your replies, Fred, the circular backplate is one and a half inches in diameter,
    thanks, John.

Fred Green
    ?

Hello John,

After reviewing the thread I saw that you mentioned the size earlier. It is most likely a cap badge and from WWII- to present.

AmericanKraut, I believe you have the description backwards on cap devices. They were made of a single piece sans screw prior to WWII and from WWII to present they are multiple piece. Plastic cap devices are rare but out there. Plastic buttons are much more common.

Fred

jwp
    ?

many thanks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast