MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

USAAF "Juarez" type Pilots wing.

Article about: Evening gents, just bought these nice and scarce WW2 "Juarez" style wings for my 8th air force shelf! Leon.

Default USAAF "Juarez" type Pilots wing.

Evening gents, just bought these nice and scarce WW2 "Juarez" style wings for my 8th air force shelf! Leon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture USAAF "Juarez" type Pilots wing.   USAAF "Juarez" type Pilots wing.  

Very nice that's one thing I'm short on

Nice wing. The few I have seen - including my
    own - only read "Sterling".........
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture USAAF "Juarez" type Pilots wing.   USAAF "Juarez" type Pilots wing.  

Last edited by Walkwolf; 09-08-2016 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Added photos.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Nice wing. The few I have seen only read "Sterling".........
    Hi Steve, my understanding is that these Juarez type wings for all trades( pilots, navigators etc ) were made by a New York based jewellers from silver coins for private purchase by air crew. They all appear to be slightly larger and heavier than the standard makers. Leon.

I'm lead to believe that these wings were found
    in greater number along the Mexican border,
    hence the name "Juarez", and that very few
    of the services were manufactured.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Congrats Leon. That is a beauty

Semper Fi
    Phil

Not a great picture but here they are on my little 8th air force shelf! Leon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture USAAF "Juarez" type Pilots wing.  

Juarez Mexico is just across the border from El Paso, Texas. One of the largest military installations is also located in El Paso, Fort Bliss. This has been home to the 1st Cavalry Division, the Air Defense Artillery School and now the 1st Armored Division. There is an ongoing myth that the coin silver "Juarez" Pattern wings were made in Juarez, Mexico and many airmen stationed at Biggs Army Airfield would go and purchase these wings. Biggs field was also a training field and strategic bomber field in the 50-70's and is now full of attack and support helicopters and a few other fixed wing aircraft the army uses for reconnaissance and photography.

Hopeful that more information will be revealed about the Juarez connection to the wings

Smitty