Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Utility Sqadron One decal.......is this a WW11 insignia, or?

Article about: I have come across a collection of photos I believe are WW11 , someWW1....they look all related to a Utility Squadron that there is little info about....anyone out there have any info on thi

Default Utility Sqadron One decal.......is this a WW11 insignia, or?

I have come across a collection of photos I believe are WW11 , someWW1....they look all related to a Utility Squadron that there is little info about....anyone out there have any info on this "Utility Squadron One" decalUtility Sqadron One decal.......is this a WW11 insignia, or?Utility Sqadron One decal.......is this a WW11 insignia, or?, they seem to have changed the logo over the years......I will be posting other aeronautical photos a little later....along with info on the man who took them....Thank You.

?

Looks like aerial photography, mail delivery and target towing in that transfer.

Oz.

Here is one of his photos
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Utility Sqadron One decal.......is this a WW11 insignia, or?   Utility Sqadron One decal.......is this a WW11 insignia, or?  

Utility Sqadron One decal.......is this a WW11 insignia, or?   Utility Sqadron One decal.......is this a WW11 insignia, or?  

Utility Sqadron One decal.......is this a WW11 insignia, or?  

?

They are very classy photos! Not your average snap shots.

Oz.

?

Found this on the Howard Zink Corp.:

Hodes-Zink Manufacturing Company (commonly known as Hodes Zink Company) began operations Dec., 1917 in Fremont, Ohio; manufactured storm fronts for buggies and then radiator and hood covers and other accessories for automobiles;
    in 1923 incorporated and in 1936 opened a facility in Passaic, N.J., and added a second plant in Fremont;
    A.K. Hodes and Howard E. Zink were partners; Hodes died in 1938 and with the purchases of his assets by Mr. Zink, company name was changed to Howard Zink Corporation;
    with the purchase of another plant at Charleston, Miss., the firm's primary focus shifted to the production of automobile seat covers and other products; a west coast plant was opened in 1945;
    in 1957 Jack Zink became president and in 1966 most of the company was sold and in the following years went through several changes of owner and name.

As I understand it, and from the presence of only two plant addresses, it seems this decal was made sometime between 1938 and 1945. So, it very neatly appears to be of pre- or wartime manufacture, you’ll be pleased to hear!

It seems they may still be in business, too, so it could be worth contacting them to ask if they have records of such items...
    Hope this helps,
    Bob

?

I have found a very good website you might want to look at:

Utility Squadron One

This gives you a good history of the US Navy’s Utility Squadron One... lots of interesting history to the unit. Just click on the insignia.

Well done indeed!
    Bob

Thanks for the info....I have several more, including negatives....here is another that came out of the collection
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Utility Sqadron One decal.......is this a WW11 insignia, or?