Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

A waterloo 1815 ........war trophy !!!!!

Article about: ....picked this unusual piece up.... I believe its a French Grenadiers shako / pouch badge . This large badge is 10cm long heavy cast brass ,which has remains of gilding in part to front and

Default A waterloo 1815 ........war trophy !!!!!

....picked this unusual piece up....

I believe its a French Grenadiers shako / pouch badge .
    This large badge is
    10cm long heavy cast brass ,which has remains of gilding in part to front and I believe it is FRENCH Napoleonic in style ,and construction. The rear has remains of two fixings, and two contempory fixings still present . I believe that the original fixings where cut off and more stable lugs fitted for fitment through leather.
    The top section of the flame has been smashed off ...some going considering this is one solid brass badge...looking at the edge this has consistant patina as the rear of the badge.....and I believe ,I presume that this may have happened in the thick of action ...to the front is
    contempory engraving "WATERLOO JUNE 18TH 1815"
    now it was common practice for "WATERLOO battlefield trophies to be engraved in this manor ...I have seen similar in French collections with similar type set ...but june is obviously A waterloo 1815 ........war trophy  !!!!!A waterloo 1815 ........war trophy  !!!!!A waterloo 1815 ........war trophy  !!!!!A waterloo 1815 ........war trophy  !!!!! spelt differently.

In conclusion I rightly or wrongly believe that this badge was picked up as a trophy at waterloo and thus engraved....interested to hear others thoughts on this one...

Default Re: A waterloo 1815 ........war trophy !!!!!

I would be more likely to suggest a British Ordnance Corps Insignia commemorating Unit-Service during the Battle of Waterloo...just my opinion of course...
    cheers, Glenn

Default Re: A waterloo 1815 ........war trophy !!!!!

grenade type doesn't match British pattern !! looked at that side to !! cheers steve